MPG from Disneyland trip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Smith

Reaction score
Just got back from a 10 day trip from Olympia, Wa to Southern California. I tracked miles traveled and gas added to the tank.

We had 2 adults, 1 child, bunch of the kids electronics in the back seat, and about 300lbs of stuff in the back. Almost all miles travels were highway except maybe 100 around town at my parents house. Average speed around 72mph except that long stretch of I-5 before Valencia where we were doing about 75 and were being passed like we were standing still.

Miles traveled: 2386

Fuel: 127.75

Average MPG: 18.67

Best mpg for one tank: 20.7

Worst MPG for one tank: 15.1 which was a bunch of in town driving in Long Beach and then up the pass to get to the desert.

The only mods to the ST before I left: K&N drop in air filter.

I made the following mod while in CA: Removed the restrictor tube on the air box and made a gasket for between the airbox and the panel behind the headlight.

Anyone have any ideas about knocking? Seems I have some knocking/pinging in warm weather going up slight grades. This seemed to be much improved after taking out that restrictor tube in the airbox. We hooked it up to a code reader while I was down there and didn't have any error codes.

Really? It seems worse when I am pulling the trailer so I thought it was actual pinging but it never really sounds like the pinging I remember when driving my dad Ranchero with the 351C and low octane gas. (oops!)

Is it worth it to take it in to the dealer? I'm not sure how much time I have left on the original warrenty - it might almost be out time wise. I only have 22,000 miles on it though.

If its under warranty, Take it to the DEALER!!!! Then when you find the answer contact me and post info on this board imediately!!!!

This is the same problem I have been trying to fix for months. How warm weather temps is causing detonation. read below post.

Knock Not MAF Related? by jacque766, 8/28/2006 13:01 ET

I have the same issue. As soon as it gets above 90 degrees and i put a load on the engine it is clear as day engine knock.

I'd run a couple of bottles of Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner through it before resulting to the dealer. COuld be some carbon build up that the cleaner may cure.

Just called and it looks like the factory warranty is good through Nov 22, 06. Sounds like I have time to try a couple bottles of fuel system cleaner and if no improvement a visit is an good idea.

My opinion is Cleaner is not going to work. I have tried that several times. And with only 22k miles Your engine should be in great shape. There is some other culprit.

Jacque, I'm thinking it might not help either.

I'll definately let you know what I find out - if anything.

Hey , that gas milage sucks,I put in Lucas gas treatment once a month and get 22MPG on the open road and 18 MPG around town(if I don't stomp it,Trac gets REALLY lousey MPG if you stomp it).I have 18.000 miles on mine and not a problem yet,not even a bad idle.

Latest posts