MPG increase YAY!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for those who recommended disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

This last tank was about 125 miles on the freeway from Olympia to Bellevue and back, and 170 around town only. 16.67 gallons on the fillup last night (3.01/gal!) and I had 17.75 mpg. Much better than the last tank at around 13.5 for about the same driving!

It also seems to shift more to my liking now. :)

So, thanks again. Now to just save up for an Xcal and exhaust!

I totally missed this on the message board. What's up with disconnecting the battery and increasing MPG? Does that reset the computer or something?

I'm assuming Allen installed an Intake. The battery needs to be disconnected after this mod because it resets your computer to understand that it's taking on more air.

Not bad.... 24% increase in mpg. Doing the math if I got a 24% increase in mpg in my current ride, I'd be getting 38mpg!

Disconnecting the battery makes the computer reset itself faster but it's supposed to be able to adjust on it's own. Just takes longer.

I only added a drop in K&N a few weeks ago.

I don't know what it did, but doing this made a big diff and I will take unexplained increases anytime over unexplained decreases!! :)

15 minutes should do it John. I didn't disconnect mine because I didn't want to loose all my radio settings.

Yeah, I left mine disconnected for about 15 minutes. I only have a couple stations on presets, I mostly listen to mp3 cd's or my iPod.

That's true! I was surprised to find my presets were not erased after I installed my Volant intake. Just the clock I believe. For a while I thought I didn't do it correctly because after disconnecting the battery I didn't turn on the headlamp switch (or something) to 'purge' any residual power. I have the Audiophile system in my 04 and your replies verify that it has 'reserve' power for the presets.