MPG ????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a 2002 - loved it - got 17.78 MPG all round driving........ traded it for new 2004 in Oct 04' its MPG is 13.72 - what gives...... I drive the same style - same places.... Dealer says they changed gear ratio and tire size???

Anyone put in Hydrogem boost generator??? http://www.hydrogen-boost.com/

Must be the acorns in your air box that are plugging up the filter.:D

OK, for all you non-scientists, a lesson in themodynamics. There is no such thing as free energy. Get that? No such thing. It takes energy to seperate the hydrogen and oxygen atoms from water molecules... more then you will get back when you recombine the atoms forming water. For every unit of energy you could get from the hydrogen and oxygen generated by the Hydrogen generator, you will use more than one unit of energy in the form of electricity and the mechanical energy used to generate that electricity. The seller's hype is just a lie. For these types of products it always is a lie. The heated fuel system was marketed in the early 1980's and it was a lie then.

Gas mileage.......if you are driving on tires that are bigger in diameter than the OEM tires, you will get a false, low mpg calculation because you are driving a greater distance than your odometer indicates.

I think that the weight from all those acorns crammed in your trucks nooks and crannies would cause bad mileage as well.

Sailmaker,

I had a 2001 Sport Trac with the 3.73 axle and drove it for over 42K miles. I now have a 2003 Sport Trac with the 4.10 axle with about 23K miles and I don't notice any significant difference in mileage. I still get about 16-17 MPG in town and 20-21 MPG on the highway driving 79-75 MPH.

The axle ratio and tire size can make a difference but not that much. I suspect the previous owner may have made tuning modifications to the engine, or perhaps ran bigger tires and has the speed sensor (VSS) modified to correct the speedometer/odometer error??

Without knowing your axle ratios, and tire size, it's difficult to evaluate your problem. You may want to use the mile-markers on Interstate or use a GPS to confirm the accuaracy of your Speedometer and odometer. It may be just a simple case that you are getting low readings on you odometer and that makes you mileage look bad. ie: you travel 100 miles but you odometer only registers 87 miles??

...Rich

Had an 01 and an 03. Both the same goodies for the most part. My 03 got better mileage but ONLY by .05, (Less than a tenth).

So I would suggest you have an issue or are getting false figures based on math or if you have lager tires installed.

Sailmaker -

I would perform (or have done) a complete tune up. Plugs, wires, fileters, and if has been 15K since the last transmission oil change, do that too...

After the tune up, disconnect the negative from the battery for 15 minutes to reset the computer. Then check your mileage after the next tank........

If it is still bad, dunno.......my catalytic converters were plugging up and my mileage went to about 13. But there are other noticable effects, like a loss of power at higher RPMs. I typically get about 20, but I have added some aftermarket parts. Before I changed from stock configuration I averaged about 17.5 or so......

As BillE mentioned, is your tire size stock? Also, bad alignements can impact MPG, as well as low (below 30lbs) tire pressure.

On the hydrogen boost system, as a physics major....I have my doubts. I am always skeptical when things like this pop up not only because they seem to violate some very basic physics ideas, like Newton's laws of thermodynamics (the second one, to be exact), and if something really worked that well, why doesn't everyone have one? If it does what it says it does, it will be a $100 kit at Autozone by summer.

And a couple of books I reference need re-writing.....