mpg

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry tanner

Reaction score
yesurday i had a full tank of gas drove about 100 miles round trip half town and half highway. it is now sitting between 1/2 and 3/4. wtf. what happened to the mpg?

3/4? your not to far off the marker.... have u inspected your tire pressure? did you warm the car before you got in? driving like a bat outa hell? winter mpg and summer mpg vary also...

i had a full tank of gas and it is now sitting between 1/2 and 3/4. wtf

and now not lately i stopping this afternoon to get a new fliter just incase. that is one problem. but i did a trip two months ago 360miles and it only took 3/4 of a tank of gas. and that was back roads and highway.

Check air filter, spark plugs, O2 sensors fuel filter. You can clean out the MAF sensor. Have the fuel system cleaned out. Dump in some injector cleaner (I like to use Valvoline Complete Fuel)which should be done at lease every 3000 miles (that a lot of people don't do). There are a lot of things that could cause the decrease.

Last edited by a moderator:
First rule is to not use the Fuel gage to calculate MPG. The gage is notoriously inaccurate. The only true and accurate way to calculate MPG is to get an exact reading off the pump (down to the 10ths or 100ths of a gallon) when you fill up, and calculate that against the exact Odometer reading in 10ths of a mile. And even then, one tank of gas does not make an accurate Average MPG since there is not much to average until you have put about 5+ tanksfull and accurately calculated the mileage for each tankfulll, or combind.

...Rich

Ditto on Rich L. I have watched my fuel gauge be all over the chart against odometer reading. I dont worry about it. Most Fords I have owned. The fuel gauge has been this way. Just the otherday I filled up. I calculated aproxomet amount for the fill up. I missed it by almost 5 gallons. Dont depend on the fuel gauge.

Latest posts