MPH

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the ECU limits the top speed to approximately 100 MPH. This is a Federal requirement based on the speed rating of the stock tires.

Tthere is also a Rev limiter that prevents the engine from reving over 3000 RPM while in Neutral or Park. While the automatics are limited by the shift RPM for the lower gears, once you get into high gear or Overdriive, the speed limiter kicks in.

...Rich

Federal law mandates that vehicles top speed be limited to no exceed the speed ratings of their tires. The Sport Trac is speed limited to about 100 MPH. The reason I say About 100 MPH is because this can vary based on speedometer error, tire diameter, etc.

The only Sport Tracs that did not have the Speed Limiter set at the factory were the early 2001 Job-1's. These were often reporgrammed by the dealers without the owners knowledge or permission when they were brought in for any service.

The only way to go faster than the speed limiter setting is to have it reprogrammed. with an XCal tune, or another aftermarket Chip.

Yes, I know that some of you will jump in and swear you stock Sport Trac can well exceed 100 MPH. If you claim your Sport Trac can exceed the 100 MPH and you have not had the speed limiter reprogrammed, then you are in serious denial, or your speedometer is way out of calibration to your true speed.

Yes, Yes, I know you will all claim that you have certified records that your "Factory Stock" Sport Trac is faster than a speeding bullet. That will help the people who have been around here awhile will know who is BS'ing.

...Rich

Mine is an early 2001 Job-1..

I've had it up to 65..but only for about a mile or two...:D

Federal law mandates that vehicles top speed be limited to no exceed the speed ratings of their tires. The Sport Trac is speed limited to about 100 MPH. The reason I say About 100 MPH is because this can vary based on speedometer error, tire diameter, etc.

I don't doubt that there's a law in print to substantiate your statement but FORD has their own reason. This is from the Ford PCM/ED manual:

Engine RPM/Vehicle Speed Limiter

The powertrain control module (PCM) will disable some or all of the fuel injectors whenever an engine rpm or vehicle overspeed condition is detected. The purpose of the engine rpm or vehicle speed limiter is to prevent damage to the powertrain. The vehicle will exhibit a rough running engine condition, and the PCM will store one of the following Continuous Memory DTCs: P0219, P0297 or P1270. Once the driver reduces the excessive speed, the engine will return to the normal operating mode. No repair is required. However, the technician should clear the PCM and inform the customer of the reason for the DTC.

Excessive wheel slippage may be caused by sand, gravel, rain, mud, snow, ice, etc. or excessive and sudden increase in rpm while in NEUTRAL or while driving.

I don't think I spread any BS in this post ...............:blink:

ncranchero/Steve M,

I never said that you were spreading any BS, and you did not claim that your Sport Trac exceeds the 100 MPH speed limiter either.

I don't have a copy of the written law, but I have heard from a number of reliable sources that the Feds have required or at least strongly suggested that vehicles not be able to go faster than the speed rating of their tires.

This is not just a Ford issue, the same speed limiter to Tire rating applied to my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. It was limited to 104 MPH which was the speed rating of the factory tires. When I questioned the Service Manager (a friend of my for over 8 years) he told me the Fed required the speed not exceed the tire ratings. He said if I had bought the Turbo charged GXP the speed limiter would be raised to about 117MPH.

My Mercedes C300 Sport has tire rated for 130 MPH. I have only driven it to about 120 MPH. I was told told two different top speed limiter settings. One said it was 125 MPH and another said it was 127 MPH. I don't know which is correct or if it is just some minor speedometer error, or just not wanting to take their eyes off the road at that speed.

Whether or not it's a Federal requirement, is not really the issue or the point. It's whether or not your factory stock Sport Trac can exceed 100 MPH. The federal government required all vehicles be standardized with OBD systems and exactly what the OBD systems would be able to monitor and control. The Speed Limiter is part of the OBD system for a reason?

All vehicles sold in the US have OBD-II systems with a speed limiter, and it is always set at, or just below the speed rating of the OEM tires. Since the Fed DOT makes all the specification regarding the safety aspects of all new vehicles, it makes sense that they are dicating that the vehicles not exceed their OEM tire rating. You don't really think Ford or any auto manufacturer is doing it just because they want to?

You can bet that if they are all doing it and they are all doing it the exact same way, by limiting the top speed to the speed rating of the tires, that it is being required by a higher source located in Washington, DC.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
...... a hundred miles per hour ............ heck I haven't even heard mine run yet!

A friend from the Ford dealership came over last night and tried to program my keys. Failed ..... something about improper format ..... He's thinking that the dealership that cut my keys cut the wrong blanks. He was checking into it today for me.

My day started a 4AM, worked my regular day, 6 hours at the hospital with my daughter for tests, carry-out, prescriptions, waiting 2 hours for my friend to get to the shop, programmed 2 vehicles, 3 attempts at getting my ST to take it ........... I was not retaining much info by that time.:wacko: Phew!:(

Chill Rich! Where's your humor? Geez, don't take everything I say as a personal attack!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before my xcal3, my speed was 96mph and the fuel would shut off. Now I have hit 117mph. It was still pulling hard. Had to shut down for my exit...:)

Next time Im up in the country where my dad lives. Im going to push it to the max. TxFM222 has 2 very long straight runs. Very well paved road.

ncranchero/Steve M,

Sorry, Steve. Only the first line was directed at you and I don't need to chil, since I'm not hot or annoyed, LOL

I was in the military for 20 years and tend to write in a very direct manner. Writing does not show any inflections or humor so it is difficult to know when someone is kidding around or taking offense.

...Rich

Latest posts