MTX Thunder 280 speaker level input wiring harness

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a quick question which probably has an elementary answer.

I'll be wiring up my old MTX Thunder 280 amp to an aftermarket 10" sub under the rear seat of my 05 xlt with the factory HU. The amp has three terminals for the high level inputs. L-GND-R

My first thought is to connect both grounds from the Left and Right rear door speakers to the single GND terminal. Is this correct?

I'm also wondering if this amp will sense the speakers being turned on/off through the inputs, not requiring a remote connection?

Correct with the GRD conections. Second, you need to hook the remote switch up. The amp won't recognise the speakers turning on. The remote switch is to turn the amp on/off. (as you know) If not connected, the amp won't turn on. I hooked mine to the rear window power wire (has power when the ignition is turned on and not when off) and it's nice to be able to turn off the amp with the drivers window lock button when not needed. (when someone is in the rear seat);)

I'm curious if there is a remote line to the factory amp for the 6" sub in the storage compartment I can tap into? If not, is there a quick place to get ahold of a wiring diagram to locate the rear window power wire? Did you tap in at the actual control switch on the door panel or up at the fuse panel by the steering column?

Thanks once again for your input! It's greatly appreciated.

:D

I tapped into the passenger rear door harness. It's been hooked that way for about 3 years, with no problems. I think they are pink/blu striped wires. Not exactly sure, I have a DVD with the wiring on it at home. (I'm at work right now) I'll try to post the wires for you tomorrow. (unless someone can get it for you before then);)

It looks like that the wire your looking for is violet/light blue. This is what it is for an '02, I would guess that is would be the same for an '05. I hope this helps.

Any clarification on the correct wire for the window lock switch? I think I'm going to wire the amp in tomorrow and test. I have my power wire route set, and ground. Just need to get set with the remote wire.

Thanks again guys!:D