Muffler, no cat back question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Timm

Reaction score
I know there are tons of posts on this but I could not find a specific post on what I am looking for:

I want to swap out my muffler for one that sounds much better. I do not want to spend a ton but just about 100-200. Can I have a shop cut out the current muffler for a different one and get good sound or do I have to go full cat back to get a decent sound?

If I can get a good sound with just the muffler swapped out, any recommendations on which one exactly? I have read thrush but have heard they are built very cheap. I do not want my truck to sound bad but rather like a mustang gt.

You can swap out just the muffler....... have them remove the resonator too....

If you want the mustang sound then a flow master is the way to go...

There are several members that did it, they should chime in..

Todd Z

disregard my last message. I went searching on their site. I am confused as to what one I would like as listening to them on the computer just doesn't do it justice. What size is the inlet/outlet on a gen 2 v8?

If you swap out only the muffler you will get almost no sound difference at all.

Basically you have two options:

1) Delete resonator and run stock muffler and see how it sounds.

2) Delete resonator and replace muffler with a high performance brand.

I swapped my muffler for a Magnaflow and got no sound change. Then I deleted my resonator and replaced it with a custom midpipe. HUGE difference.

I went Magnaflow and the part number is in my profile. Either Magnaflow or Flowmaster is a great pick.

I feel I lost some low end grunt with the straight through design of the Magnaflow. It sounds amazing though.

Last edited by a moderator: