Muffler setup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a performance muffler for my truck. I'm probably going to go with a single in/ single out setup straight out the back. I'd like to use as much of the original pipe also. (as in modifying the tailpipe to exit the rear of the vehicle instead of behind the pass. rear tire) I'd just like to get an idea of what I will need to get and do since I will probably be doing this myself. I'd also like to see pics if at all possible. It is a 2 1/2 in and out right?;)

Stock size is 2.25". I'm not sure if you can use much of the stock tailpipe and bend it go straight back. The reason is because in addition to the muffler, there is also a resonator aft of the muffler. If memory serves, I believe it's also aft of the axle, so that wouldn't leave much of the stock tailpipe to work with in trying to modify it to go straight back.

I went with a Flowmaster Delta Flow 40, single in/single out, and had a new tailpipe run straight back.

[Broken External Image]:

Here's another picture, but it's a little blurry. But you can get a general idea.

[Broken External Image]:

your better off replacing the muffler and either adding a piece to take up the space, OR replace the complete cat back...

Todd Z

So it is only a 2 1/4 in/out. hell every time I looked one up on the web it came out as a 2 1/2. i have a friend that has a muffler pipe bender. Guess I'll have to have him hook me up a single out to the rear. I kindof figured I would have to add pipe due to the Fing huge muffler they have on there now. Would I be able to retro fit a piece to replace the resonator on the tailpipe for the time being? until he can get me in to do the replacement tailpipe?

I did the areo exhuast system. Check the threads lately for it in exhuast posts. All in all it's a good system and added a very good sound to the ST. Also increased gas mileage by about 1.5 mpg. If you have any ?'s just ask.

~Josh

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: