Muffler

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Ok. Here is what someone from a local muffler shop tried to tell me today. I bought an aftermarket performance muffler and yes it is a universal fit one that does say it will fit on a ST. He tried to tell me that it won't fit because with these trucks you pretty much have to go with a OE replacement then said that the whole system is welded and they will have to go with the "Cat Back" system. When I asked why that is he got alittle rude and got alittle tongue tied. I told him that I have done muffler work on alot of vehicles and always used a "Universal Muffler" that had the size of pipe needed, I just don't have the time or tools to do this one and that I didn't want to run into a problem if I needed a costom pipe bended during the instalation, etc. I also mentioned that people on this website have had thiers replaced with ones not anything the size or shape of the original and he wants to look at it. He sofened up a bit after I told him all that. Not sure if I will give him my business or not but there is only two places in Punxsy that do pipe bending if it is needed and the other place isn't open yet. (as of 9:30 am) So, I'm going to check with that place first. Just thought I'd share that story. Happy Birthday to me, good start to it already! (My wife got me the muffler);)

Stone'

what universal muffler did you get - I'm sure someone here will have one and then you can tell the guy that you know it will work 'cause you seen it.

grump

Grump, I went cheap. Extremely cheap. I figured what the hell. For now I went with a Flowtech Raptor Muffler. It was $20 at my local NAPA. It's not a Flowmaster or anything but has to be better than the Rig sized muffler that is on there now. i know you get what you pay for and all that but I have a hard time paying $60-100 for a muffler. The setup is the same as the ones that Flowmaster, Dynomax, Duramax, ETC. have listed. Just went with a 2.25 in/out and offset. I know it can be done, just may need to adjust a pipe to make it fit. the guy was probably trying to push me toward one that he has or handles since I already have the muffler.;)

Factory systems are welded into one piece and it's difficult to work a new piece in without replacing the whole mofo. Basically it's a PITA that shops don't like to bother with, especially since you're bringing in your own muffler that they're not getting any markup on. Also some OE mufflers have mounting tabs welded on, I'm not sure if ST's do, the pipe might not line up, so they have to ghetto-rig a universal strap and bracket to make it all work. It isn't about servicing YOU or what YOU want, it's about making money quickly and getting another car on the lift ASAP to make more money quickly. Once you understand that, it's a little easier to get special or one-off stuff done for you. Like scope the shop and roll in on a slow day or even ask what their slow time is because you have a "special project", i.e. "I hate to bother you, but ya think some day when you don't have much going on you could do such-and-such?"

I know a semi-retired tranny guy with a lift who doesn't mind doing oddball stuff for me occasionally, though I might have to wait a week or two.

Just got back from the shop. He took a look and said "No Problem. I will have to replace the tailpipe though." I told him as long as he takes it straight out the back with a costom job he again said no problem. Quoted me $70 to hook it up and costum bend a tailpipe to go straight out the back. I was thinking it would cost more, so I may do it. He said I could get it done Mon. morning. I'll let you all know how it went. Thanks for listening to me vent.;)