Multi Grade ATF ????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
Based on some good advice here, last Friday I had my trani pan dropped, filter changed and such. Now I want a complete flush to get all the fluid replaced. I just got a quote from a local lube shop for $99 which sounds reasonable.

The question is this, they use Pennzoil multi-grade ATF, is this OK? I've tried to do some research to find out if using a "pure" Mercon V fluid would be better but haven't had any luck. I'm actually leery of using Motorcraft ATF because of the whole additive thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

here is what i found

PENNZOIL® MULTI-VEHICLE ATF is recommended for use e in many Chrysler, Honda/Acura, Toyota, Nissan,

VW/Audi, BMW, Mitsubishi, Mercedes-Benz, Saturn, and Jeep vehicles. It is suitable for use in most automatic transmission vehicles including those made by General Motors, Ford

sutiable for use in most doesn't sit well with me..i think i would find a place that uses MERCON® V..

troy

Dealer wants $229 for the flush, I'm sure they would use the MERCON® V but they are expensive and they claim thay they do a "high pressure" flush which doesn't sound like a good idea.

It looks like the major lube manufactorers (Mobile, Pennzoil, Valvoline) all produce the multi grade and not a specific Mercon V. The only manufactorer of pure Mercon V that I can find is Motorcraft and then I'm back to the additive question.

From my research it appears that the fluid is backwards compatible but not vice versa meaning a Mercon trani can run Mercon V but not the other way around.....WTF....over!

The more I look into this the more confused I get......not very hard to do though ;)

$229 is high.. most dealers only charge $119

this is from myford owners site... from the main ford site you click on owners.. then you can log and keep track of vehicle history..

SERVICE

$119.95 automatic transmission fluid flush

Flush transmission and replace automatic transmission/transaxle fluid. Inspect and lubricate linkage and controls (where applicable). Road test.

Offer valid on most vehicles. Taxes, disposal fees and diesel vehicles extra. See Service Advisor for details. Offer valid with coupon. Taxes extra.

Expires: 08/14/05.

Redeem this offer ONLY at:

Winner Ford Of Dover, Ltd

591 South Dupont Highway

Dover, DE 19901

(800) 221-0403

it time for me to do mine also... i'm letting Winner Ford do mine for $119..

troy

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercon-V is not a brand, it's a specific formula of transmission fluid. It can be manufactured and sold by anybody.

There is nothing wrong with multi-grade ATF just as long as it's 100% Mercon-V compatible and meets or exceeds the Mercon-V standards. Penzoil and the shop doing the Flush should stand behind their products with a warranty.

Also, regularFord Mercon-V is a semi-synthetic, while many of the aftermarket brands are 100% synthetic fluids. Syntheic fluids are superior to semi-synthetics or non-synthetics. I suspect that the Penzoil ATF is a full synthetic fluid in order to meet the specifications of all the different fluids.

The $99 price for the flush sounds about right if you are getting a 100% sythetic fluid. I had my tranny flushed on my 2001 Sport Trac about 3 years ago and it cost $85. Their flushes were normally $55, but the 100% Mercon-V fluid cost extra. I also got a 6 month, 6K mile warranty with my Flush.

...Rich

Pennzoil, Mobil 1, and Valvoline are all semi synthetic blends. The only one I can find that is 100% synthetic is Royal Purple Max ATF. I've read that posts of people having good luck with it but I am a bit nervous about it's Mercon V rating. I may just get that and find a shop that will put it in.

Tim

Latest posts