Multiple Amp Wiring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GccST

Reaction score
When installing my two new amps, I want to run a 4 gauge wire to a power distributor and then run the wires to the amps. The one amp requires 8 gauge wire and one requires 10 gauge, but none of the distributors that I can find have outlets for 8 and 10 gauge wire. They are mostly all 8 gauge. Is there a way that I can run a piece of 8 gauge and then hook it up to a piece of 10 gauge to connect to the amp without any ill effects? Im not a real pro on the wiring so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can probably just run the 10 gauge into the distribution block with no problem. Other than that, go ahead and give the other amp 8 guage too, won't hurt anything.

8 gauge is thicker than 10, so It won't hurt nothing, it will actually run cooler (not noticeable, but cooler) just make sure your fuses are the correct ratings.

The amp I have wont accept 8 gauge wire, which is my dilemma. If it could, then I would have just done that, because I know it is better to run a lower gauge wire. I dont know if the distribution block will accept 10 gauge wire either.

If the set screw on the distribution block is too short to hold 10 gauge, get a longer set screw from Home Depot or something.

In the past, if all I had was large gauge wire to go into a small gauge hole, I'd cut come copper strands off all the way around until I got the proper size...but I wouldn't recommend doing this at all for an amp. In the cases where I did it, power transmission wasn't very important and expensive equipment wasn't involved, not like amps where you could ground out the amp itself, and you don't want the bottle neck from dead-end strands.

I figured that I can just get a new screw for the distribution block and run 10 gauge from there. It was a simple solution, and really just a case of me not using my head.. yet again. Thanks a lot for all the help, especially in such short time. You guys are great.

I am using a rockford 201s for my front speakers that needs 10 gauge. The other one is a rockford p3002 for my sub, but it doesnt have a problem with the 8 gauge wire. I figured i can just use spade terminals though.