Mustang+Shelby+Hertz=Bad*** Car

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Cheek

Reaction score
So Ford is putting out a Shelby Mustang with Hertz, actually a limited run of 500 available for rental only. Man it'd be nice to get one of these with low miles and hang on to. You know they will eventually trickle down and be sold...but I wonder how much they will fetch. My mouth is beginning to water!!![Broken External Image]:

I'd love to have one, but not a used rental.

You know the people who rent that will beat the crap out of it.

There are tales of people renting a '66 GT350H on a Friday, racing it over the weekend and returning it on Monday. I've even hear some stories about people renting these cars and pulling the drivetrain out and putting it in another car to race over the weekend; and another tale about a car being returned to Hertz on Monday and they found weld spots under the carpet where a roll cage had been installed over a weekend to race.

Like the '66 GT350H's before them, these cars will be instant collector's items when Hertz is done with them. However, this deal is somewhat ironic, given the fact that Ford recently sold off Hertz.

Hmmm... here's another thought: There was a Shelby Dakota back in the day... Maybe the Ol' Shel could work his snake-charmer magic on the new Sport Trac since the SVT Adrenalin is dead. Ford and Carroll Shelby, are you listening???

I work for Hertz, and I doubt I'll even see one, let alone drive one.

Since these are a very limited edition, my guess is we won't keep them in our fleet very long. Probably less than 10,000 miles. I can imagine how hard they will be driven for those 10K miles, however :(

We do stick rigidly to manufacturers maintenance schedules; I would have no issues with buying a used Hertz fleet vehicle knowing how well we maintenance them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Hertz Gold club card is burning a hole in my wallet just waiting. I'll pay a premium to rent that. :cool:

One of my favorite Mustangs! Love to drive one! Even better own one!

I was reading an article about these that Hertz put out or had some input into it at least.

They were saying they will have bar codes installed in "Inconspicuous" locations to check to ensure the OEM engine and tranns come back with the car...

I wouldn't doubt it if we don't have our GPS tracker installed as well like we do on the high end luxury cars we rent.

Latest posts