Musty smell in minivan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
I need some help!

My wife has an '02 Toyota minivan. Recently it started smelling really musty inside the van. She removed the floormats and found some water under many of them. I've looked everywhere and can't find where there was a leak. The only thing I can think is that we left a window cracked for some time and during all the rains we received the last few weeks, it got wet over and over.

Anyway, does anyone have any solutions on getting rid of the musty smell? It is so, so strong. I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Check the AC drain hole under the passenger floor or fire wall... The AC could be dripping into the van.

I have had luck with the baking soda in a pot of water, or plain vinager...

I also have used the odor eater containers that home depot and Lowe's sell..... Citrus works great. Just leave it in the vehicle over night....

And Dry out the floor...

Todd Z

We started parking it in the garage and it seems to be dried out. I've been keeping an eye on the passenger side floor to see if it is the A/C, but doesn't seem to be...I had and old earlies Honda Civic in college that was bad about plugging up!

Vinegar sounds like a good idea! Would smell better than the musty smell now!

Thanks!

I saw a bit in the last Truckin' magazine that said to get a bag of charcoal and cut a X on the front of the bag, and leave it on the floor or seat overnight and the charcoal will soak up any smells. Never tried this before, but it seems like a smart idea.

Boodro

rent a rug doctor and use the pet cleaner solution (it kills any organic smell). Worked great on truck I restored that had a dead mouse under the carpet. Killed the smell completely after about 2-3 cleanings.

On my Caravan, I suddenly had water under the front passenger floor mat. It turned out the vents on the cowl vent was clogged with pine needles and leaves blocking the drain holes and water would back up over the lip of the firewall into the pass compartment during heavy down pours. Not sure if yours could have the same issue.