My 2003 Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4.0L V6 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Old girl has 247K miles on it. From XLT to hard top on bed, I didn't think I'd ever care about a truck over little red British convertibles or a 71 Plymouth 340 Duster. But this one has earned the name that my Dad called all of his vehicles... "Nellie Bell" (Any old Roy Rogers fans out there?) And the area/acoustics in the cab are outstanding. I'm on my second Kenwood Excelon receiver. With all the maxxed out XLT features, I couldn't ask for a lot more. Photo is the day I bought it...

20141104_230621362_iOS.jpg

Welcome to the Herd! Lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums.
Good lookin' SportTrac there.
260k+ miles now on my 2001.

Welcome! I have a 2002 that just turned over 200k and still runs great. Enjoy.

Just passed 267 K on my 2002 - runs awesome but has started the timing chain rattle on start up - looking to swap out the timing chain tensioners this week - but been following Dillard's suggestion of turning it over with the starter with the accelerator to the floor and that has seemed to mitigate the problem of worn out tensioners...

My 2002 has 303XXX miles and on the second motor , the darned plastic thermostat housing got me while my son was driving. wonder what I will do without.

Old girl has 247K miles on it. From XLT to hard top on bed, I didn't think I'd ever care about a truck over little red British convertibles or a 71 Plymouth 340 Duster. But this one has earned the name that my Dad called all of his vehicles... "Nellie Bell" (Any old Roy Rogers fans out there?) And the area/acoustics in the cab are outstanding. I'm on my second Kenwood Excelon receiver. With all the maxxed out XLT features, I couldn't ask for a lot more. Photo is the day I bought it...

View attachment 4427
Hi, I have a 2002 4x4 and just rolled over 300k on "Truck Truck," she is the most useful and reliable vehicle I've ever owned. She needs some lovin as she is 21 years old now, and I think I'm going to keep her forever till the day I die.

Hi, I have a 2002 4x4 and just rolled over 300k on "Truck Truck," she is the most useful and reliable vehicle I've ever owned. She needs some lovin as she is 21 years old now, and I think I'm going to keep her forever till the day I die.
Curious are you still on the same motor? I am approaching 268 K on mine - seems like timing chain tensioners are failing - started thinking about an engine rebuild but need to find someone I can trust here in California

Hi, yes original engine, I know the cologne v6 is famous for the timing chain guides wearing out or breaking. No noise yet but last winter on the drivers side , she's leaking oil from head gasket onto the exhaust manifold.

Oil leak around head is a classic symptom of that TimingChain getting loose & slapping the ValveCover.

sounds about right - mine has started leaking from valve cover on passenger side - again - I had this fixed a couple of years ago at a local shop and they told ma the valve cover was cracked - been looking at getting new valve covers ever since

My 2005 Sport Trac blew a head gasket at 230,000 miles and I was told the engine is not rebuildable since the heads cannot be milled because of the timing chains and valves. They could try but at a cost of 1,600 USD as of this writing. Whether or not that is entirely true is neither here now there since I shopped around and found a 2010 Sport Trac Limited with the reliable 4.0L. I was so sorry to see the 2005 go but I drove it on the highway since I bought it with 26,000 miles. I have heard of ST's getting 300 to 350k but I cruised at 75MPH every day on my commute and I drove it hard. I had to replace the transmission, the transfer case, and the front 4x4 wheel hubs (several times). My three Sport Tracs, 2001, 2005, and 2010, are the best vehicles I have ever owned. So sorry they have not been improved with the tiny engine, EconoBlast™, twin-turbocharged, Obama-Biden approved, "EPA compliant" Ford Ranger.

My 2005 Sport Trac blew a head gasket at 230,000 miles and I was told the engine is not rebuildable since the heads cannot be milled because of the timing chains and valves. They could try but at a cost of 1,600 USD as of this writing. Whether or not that is entirely true is neither here now there since I shopped around and found a 2010 Sport Trac Limited with the reliable 4.0L. I was so sorry to see the 2005 go but I drove it on the highway since I bought it with 26,000 miles. I have heard of ST's getting 300 to 350k but I cruised at 75MPH every day on my commute and I drove it hard. I had to replace the transmission, the transfer case, and the front 4x4 wheel hubs (several times). My three Sport Tracs, 2001, 2005, and 2010, are the best vehicles I have ever owned. So sorry they have not been improved with the tiny engine, EconoBlast™, twin-turbocharged, Obama-Biden approved, "EPA compliant" Ford Ranger.
I didn’t know Obama had a Sport Trac - That is awesome!

The little thermostate hose under the thermostat housing blew on the interstate last week … and in thirty seconds the head gasket was blown..
Looking back. The hose was swelled up. And should have be replaced…
Just a warning

As for milling the heads…my mechanic mills the heads…and sometime double head gaskets the heads…..got one with two head gaskets 40 k going strong … as crazy as it sounds..did the double head gasket. 4 years ago. $700 dollars… he assured me it was going to work…I was skeptical…and not crazy about it ..but it works.. no power difference I can feel.

I have a 2004 XLT Sport Trac with 134,000. Had the original spark plugs replaced at 132,000 and they also did an induction flush, total cost $475. The vehicle runs like brand new again. Was wondering if anyone has heard of an aftermarket device that improves the fuel economy. The salesman was telling us about some part to purchase that helped with MPG.

I have a 2004 XLT Sport Trac with 134,000. Had the original spark plugs replaced at 132,000 and they also did an induction flush, total cost $475. The vehicle runs like brand new again. Was wondering if anyone has heard of an aftermarket device that improves the fuel economy. The salesman was telling us about some part to purchase that helped with MPG.
If you find that part……let the world know

Curious, what exactly is an "Induction Flush"?
Did same salesman come up with that $100 Moniker for a $3 SprayCan of Carb+IntakeCleaner?

Last edited:

Latest posts