My Baby's first oil change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris G

Reaction score
I finally changed the oil in my 07-- and am now running Mobil 1 Full Synthetic-- and used a motorcraft oil filter. I had a HORRIBLE time getting the old filter off my V8- it took two of us, three different wrenches, and bicycle tubing (for extra grip) to get the thing off. Anyone else have such difficulties? I used the seizing wrenches, as well as an adapter for my ratchet. But after the change, she seems to be happy being off dino blend

Some times the factory filter is installed without oil on the gasket making it a PITA to remove.. Hopefully you oiled the new gasket.....

Was the filter painted 1 solid color or was it a motorcraft labeled filter??

Todd Z

As long as you oil the new oil filter gasket, it should be much easier to remove. I had same problem with factory oil filter on my Trac.

I had the same problem getting the factory filter off. I took it to Jiffy Lube to ask them to get it off but they wouldn't touch it since it wasn't in their computer. I told them it's a PH2 like the rest of the Explorers but they wouldn't touch it. Kept telling me it was an '06, etc. Uggh. Finally went to Pep Boys where I got a perfect-fit metal filter wrench. With a 6" extension and ratchet, I barely cleared the housing around the radiator and got it off after much screaming and yelling.

Put filter #2 on by myself, using oil on the seal and hand tight. It came off easily. I wish Ford would have run an extension up under the bumper, like they did in the F150's to make it easier to get to the filter.

On my 2001, I usually let it cool off for 15 minutes and it screws off with my hand. If it is hot, it is a PITA to take off.

Mine was painted nice and white-- so all my wrenches were just chipping the paint off. When I put it back I did what I always have done, used the old oil to apply around the gasket, screw it in by hand, and then do a 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a wrench. But man- I ended up removing and then putting back the splash guard they have for the filter...

Chris, Thanks, I allways like to track the break in oil filters they are installing...

Todd Z

A lot of factory filters are very tight, either they have King Kong putting them on or no oil on the gasket. My dad got a new Cadillac in '04, when I changed the oil the first time my wrench crushed the filter before it started to turn.

R,

I always Say that on here,

But MANY others feel otherwise and do it at the first oil change...

Todd Z

Uhhhh.......should waited a couple oil changes b4 going to full synthetic.

You could, but on a modern engine it won't hurt anything. My system on a new vehicle is to change the oil at half the recommended interval (2500 miles on my ST) with dino oil, then at the recommended interval (5000) and every 5000 after with synthetic. Mostly because I want to get the extra wear metals out and I can't see spending the money on Mobil 1 when it's only going to be in there for 2500 miles. I used to do the same with regular oil. Also I'm still slightly old-school.

Latest posts