my drive gear is dead

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was driving to work this morning on the freeway & i noticed my engine kinda revved up.then when i got to the surface street,my drive gear wouldnt "drive"after hitting the gas,so i put it into 2nd gear & it "drove".does anyone know what the problem is?also,i tried reversing it into a stall & it kinda hesitated but worked

First off, what is a "Drive Gear"?

Since your profile says nothing about the year, tranny, 4x2/4x4, or anything ewlse we cen refer to to give you any assistance, I guess you will need to supply more information and use the proper terms so everyone knows what you are refering to when you say "Drive Gear".

"That thingie on the dash is broken out...how do I fix it?" Pretty hard to help someone out that might make a comment like that.

Tom

I think he's referring to P R N D 2 1, and the D isn't workin, so he put it in 2. No idea what the problem could be though.

lol,exactly,the 'd" isnt working.sorry about that.1st gear isnt working.after i hit the gas,it just revs up,it doesnt move.my o/d light isnt on,but can it still be a tranny problem?

Now what do you think? Engine runs, vehicle doesn't move. DUH.......ITS THE TRANSMISSION or torque converter is shot. But, if it do something "2" .........

ITS THE TRANSMISSION.

Sorry to say, sounds like tranny to me. When was the last time the fluid was flushed and filter changed? Don't always trust that the O/D light will come on. The only thing else to try is to disconnect the bat. and let it reset the computer. You may have gotten a "glitch" and resetting it may help. I doubt that is the problem but it's a long shot. Sorry.;)

Sounds like 1st gear isn't engaging. When the lever is in 2, the Trac starts out in 2nd gear and skips 1st gear entirely.

It really sounds like it is not downshifting properly. That has happens to me a couple of times. And, like stonemiser mentioned, the O/D light may begin flashing. Funny thing for me was that when I had the flashing O/D light, there were note codes coming off the ODB-II port.