my F150 supercrew TOTALED

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
Well guys, some of you may remember my earlier post that I purchased an 2005 F150 Screw Loaded Lariat edition while my trac was getting the motor replaced. Well got my trac back a couple of weeks ago and this week let a friend drive my truck. Guess what, the left rear tire blew, less than 40 days on a new set, lost control, jumped a ditch, nose dive onto the other side. Sounds as though my insurance company is going to total it. I am not happy at all. I loved my F150. guess its back to driving only the trac.

Anyone ever dealt with a total from the insurance company? Can you give me some info on how to handle it to make sure I am paid what I should be for my truck and how it all works?

thanks,

james

Wouldn't you be interested in in contact the company who made the tire that blew. Or the shop/dealer that sold you the vehicle.

I am looking into that now. the insurance company is also to recoop what they are loosing. They stated if there is a recall on the tires they will pursue that.

james

James, be sure to look up the value of your truck. Edmunds.com, kellybluebook.com and nada.com. That way you will have an idea of value if they total it. Most insurance companies will try to lo-ball. Sometimes try to nit-pik the condition before the wreck even. Most of the time they will try to pay you the $$ market value. Which is always below what you can replace it for.

You might have a case on the tire company even, to cover even more $$.

Good Luck!

Sorry to hear about your truck. Hope your friend is okay. They weren't Firestone tires were they? Don't sign anything till you are 100% satisfied. If they don't give you what you should get, you can take it to the state. I think the title is an Arbitrator. I found this out from my cousin who sells insurance in Kentucky. Good luck, no I should say, I hope you have better luck.

Make sure they are giving you the price for the exact same trim and model you have. They will probably try to pay you according to a lower trim level. Don't let them do that to you.

I bet they were GoodYears

I'll bet you are right.

I had a conversation the other day with a guy and we were talking about tires and he made the comment about the last set he had on his truck -- the "inside sidewalls were cracking terribly", not the outside where it is exposed to the sun.

My reply -- I'll bet they were goodyear, and I was right. Said the goodyear dealer told him they had that problem a lot but that there was no recall.

Perhaps it was just a plain old accident that the tire blew....those things will happen, people shouldn't be so quick to lay blame on the tire manufacturers.

I agree with most here about not letting the ins co low ball you but you have to be realistic also...your truck isn't worth what YOU thinks it's worth. You will never get what KBB or Edmunds states the value of the truck is worth. More than likely they will give you the amount that your particular vehicle is going for at the auction houses.

I was just kidding about the tires. My mom had a set of Firestone's on a 98 OLds many years ago. I was driving when the steel belt came through one of the tires. The tire dealer replaced all 4 tires that were on the ground. We got the car from her latter on and one day when I was in the trunk I saw that the tire cover was not sitting right. I pulled it of and saw that the spare tire had blown out in the trunk! It had less than 20 miles on it since it was only used that one time. I left it as it was, since I knew the dealer wouldn't beleive me if I didn't show it to him. All in all the 5 tires were replaced at no charge to us, even though the spare was about 4 years latter.

If you have any aftermarket stuff make sure they pay you money for that stuff or that you are able to take that stuff back. My buddy totaled his 2001 f-150 3months after he got it (trailer snapped off his hitch when he hit some ice and sent him in a ditch, up someones banked driveway and onto the top of his truck). When he went to the junkyard to pull off his taillights and k & n filter, the insurance guy happened to be there, and told them those parts were the property of the insurance company because they had already put the value of the aftermarket products in to their payment to him.

I just had a Goodyear Fortera blow on me. Brand new tire with 3000 miles. At 70 the tread seperated but I didn't flip the truck I just coasted to the shoulder. But the truck was pulling like heck all over the place, plus I never applied the brake that was the key i guess.