My little vacation....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Just got back Sat. from Carova Beach NC (4x4 beach). Very nice vacation and enjoyable. Beautiful beach just above Carolla NC on the island. To get to the vacation home you have to go 8.9 miles up the beach itself. That was where the fun started.

We took my wife's Mountaineer (since she said it would be more comfortable than my ST :wacko:) and I'll tell ya what, the AWD/Low Tire Warning systems suck. For one, the AWD system on her Mountaineer can be "locked" so it works like a 4x4 high, but the A-Arms of the IRS really dug into the sand. (you don't really drive down the beach, you drive in ruts put into the sand by other vehicles) The ST wouldn't have had any problem with the ruts since the rear axle would have cleared the sides of the ruts. Since I had to let pressure out of the tires to the tune of 25psi the damn low pressure light and warning kept going off. I did see a 2nd Gen. ST in the same area of beach, but never saw the owner to ask him how it did since it has the same rear suspention as the Mountie. Now you could drive down the wet part of the beach during low tide (that is how alot of people got far up the beach in most vehicles) but that was dicey since the water would rise pretty quickly.

Saw alot of people stuck in the deep sand (I even got stuck once but was able to walk it out). Honestly, I seen alot of newer Explorers stuck. It was bad. Even saw someone try to take thier AWD Caravan up the beach and they buried it pretty good.

There were guys with towtrucks to pull people out, but they also charged $600 each time.

Other than that, the trip was great. My kids found alot of seashells, got to see wild horses (they actually roamed into our carport since it was raining), and got to see dolphins swimming in the ocean close to shore.

My wife agrees now that the next time we go there we are going to take my ST.:D

I see from your post she has the newer version, but still it's like the Newer? :D

WOW 600! I think I would have packed a shovel or two in the truck (if it had been me, I would have! ha ha) Glad you guys didn't have to use those tow trucks!

What a racket! wonder if that is legal to take advantage like that in that state? Some states regulate tow trucks. Some don't though. Interesting.

Sounds like you all had a blast! :)

Shawn,

Sounds like you had a blast.. Next time, take a few pix of the scenery.

Also, you might take a tow rope and make enough $$ to pay for the trip by pulling the stuck ones out. ;)

$600, how do you spell gouging..:angry:

When I used to spend time on the texas beaches eith my van, I always carried a tow rope. Needed it many times. People were always happy to help. They knew it could happen to them

Had a tow rope in the back of the Mountie and luckily didn't need to use it.:)

GM, her's is an '05. The Explorers that I saw being pulled out/ towed were '07-'08's. I actually saw one being towed down the beach and all the wheels were turning, even the ones off the ground. Not sure how good that would be for the drivetrain.:D

There was always someone willing to help people get out of the sand instead of leaving them to the vultures. The towtrucks were all owned by people who lived on the beach. We had one that lived 2 roads down from us, and he cruised out to the beach at 7AM every morning, and came home around 10PM every night.

Pics will come, we took 250 pictures, and are currently doing some touch-ups to some. It was absolutely a great time. I would recommend it to anyone. No crowded beaches to sit on and the driving up the beach was an experience.;)

Stonemiser,

I go to outer banks every summer but have never heard of where you where. I actually looked it up and found the beach. Looks great. But upwards of 15k for a week. Man I want to go but thats a little steep for my blood.

Let me know if you stayed somewhere a little more resonable.

thanks,

jamesb