My Substage Options: ARRRRHHHGGG!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I found out today that the box I was talking about for the install of my two 12" JBLs would be a perm install. It wouldn't be a modular design and it would be anchored to the rear wall and then built inside the vehicle.

Ugh!!! I can't do this to my truck. Everything I've done can be removed. The problem with this box is that it's so huge, 2.22cu ft, that it covers my child seat anchors. I plan to have children before this vehicle is paid off so I need those anchors.

If I build it so I can get remove them or get to the anchors I lose massive amounts of airspace.

The boxes I had in my F150 were .84 each and they sounded great. They fit in my G2 ST but I wanted to improve on that. I wanted to gain some airspace and hit some lower notes. They sounded awesome before but I was hoping that I could get some more bass out of them for the coolest truck I've ever owned.

I have to wonder....can two 10" subs do a better job if they fit the airspace better?

Why not do a two quality 10's in a ported box tuned nice and low? There are several that will work in under 1 cf ported, with optimal being right around 1 cf. Best of both worlds, tuned low and less space.

now that my 10 inch shallow mount kickers are broken in....even the 2 of them are too much at most times. i have the gain turned down to +2 from +6...

now that the trac is a sealed enclosure in itself with so much sound-deadening i'm thinking even 1 of those would be great....jsut saying - it all depends on what you want.....

Well I'm either going to just throw in a 13TW5. Problem with that idea is I need a new amp because I don't think mine can get the performance I want out of the 13TW5. Mine plays at either 1 ohm or 4ohm. The TW5 is a 3ohm sub.

I was thinking about just going with a couple 10" subs.

I've got a total of about 2 ft^3 to play with but keep in mind, I also have to mount both my amps back there. I don't think I have the physical space needed to meet the ported displacement needs with my amps back there. I need to think about where to mount my amps a little more.

Below is what I've been looking at. I think I can make any pair of the 10s work and the 13TW5 I could do a pair also but that would mean dropping $700 on just subs. I'm fine with a single 13 in that case lol.

I'd have to mount these subs at the bottom most portion of the enclosure and mount the amps above them. This gives the amps more air for cooling and puts them in an area that has more room behind the seat to mount them.

Kicker Solo-Baric 10 L7 4ohm

http://www.kicker.com/Solo-Baric_L7

Min .66 cu ft^3

Max 1.00 cu ft^3

MD 6 (6.25) + .75 for MDF = 7

Xmax 0.50 Need 7.5 min space behind seats.

(2) Combined 1.32 cu ft^3 airspace min

(2) Combined 2.00 cu ft^3 airspace max

(

JL Audio 10W6V2 4ohm

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=6

Min .625 cu ft^3

MD 6.90 + .75 for MDF = 7.65

Xmax 0.60 Need 8.25 min space behind seats.

(2) Combined 1.25 cu ft^3 airspace min

JL Audio 13TW5-3 3ohm

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=30

Min .80 cu ft^3

MD 2.54 + .75 for MDF = 3.29

Xmax 0.383 Need 3.673 min space behind seats.

(2) Combined 1.60 cu ft^3 airspace min

Anyone have anymore ideas on design or subs?

There are placed behind my rear seats near the bottom that has nearly 10" of space. The trick is that the boxes won't be uniform in shape because the back wall isn't uniform in depth from side to side.

The best I can do is build the back wall in a uniform flat panel. Same with the front. After that, I'd do something similar to what Nocturnal did with his mount trim panel to allow his sub more mounting depth.

I would do this in both rear pockets and both front pockets in the area between the seat fold joints.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't NEED a new amp. It will play at all Ohm levels, it will just change the output wattage. So if it's 100 watts @ 2 ohm, and 200 watts @ 4 ohm it will output 150 watts @ 3 ohm.

As far as the other stuff, have fun :blink:

I wonder if this would fit?

Dimensions: 6-11/16"TD x 10"BD x 21-1/2"W x 15"H

It's possible it will fit behind the passenger side rear. I think It's to wide to fit behind the driver's passenger rear.

L7's are loud as hell but don't have the SQ of the JL's (typically, I haven't heard the newer models from JL though)

Latest posts