my tranny swap- uh oh

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Fajkus

Reaction score
bought my 4.0 ranger with a manual and towing towing towing is what I do. Tranny broke recently. Thanks to advanced adapters I am putting a gm 700r4 in the truck. Manual tow rating is 3,000 pounds. Automatic tow rating is close to 6000 pounds. This is what i need.

It may seem like an odd conversion, but it looked like the only choice I had without a major swap since the trannies are computer controlled. The 700r4 needs no computer. The only issue I think I will have to deal with is odometer. All the parts will be here this coming up week.

Transfer case, y-pipe, starter, cat, both driveshafts are out. The tranny is ready to slide out.

As soon as the adapters are in i will be meeting with the tranny guy. Higher stall, Floor shifter, hold gears manually in 1 and 2.

there will be some bumps and grinds but I am looking forward to making this work.

Cool swap !!!

Though your putting in an auto, the towing capacity in not raised that high. The tow rating on a vehicle is based on the suspension, Braking, Frame style and then engine and tranny...

Todd Z

700R4 as in a GM tranny, correct?

If so, there are some things you will want to look at. The 700 series tranny had some SERIOUS issues. Like many TSB's they fix these as they learn prior to building new vehicles.

There is one series that has a seam, (in this case, a raised ridge) that runs between the two tranny lines on the case. If you have this 700R4, it is one of the better builds. It has a modified valve body and better solenoids as well as a better converter, not that you will be keeping the converter from the sounds of it...

Just something to think about.

The valve body I was referring to is called an "Auxiliary Valve Body" type transmission. Here is a picture that will help identify if you have one of these or not.

[Broken External Image]:

Found what I was looking for...

Here is a picture of a 700 with the seam.

[Broken External Image]:

And without the seam.

[Broken External Image]:

These may be the same tranny, but by no means are they really the same. HUGE difference in improvement when stepping into the units with the seam.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tranny that fits the 4.0 has to be a 60degree v6 version of the 700r4. These were on an older gen of s-10's. The buick and small block version won't fit on.

tranny is being built up. the guy building it only works on 700r4's and their equivalent computer controlled 460le. I hope to have a very sound unit. What you described plus a beefier sun shell was mentioned. I'll be meeting with him face to face when the advanced adapters come in so we can get the tranny finalized.

just got the tranny out. Tranny, both driveshafts, starter, transfer case, y-pipe, cat are all out. The clutch should be the last thing to pull out.

Todd Z,

IIRC, the Ranger has a towing capicity of 6,000 LBS. Unless the GM tranny is not as strong as the Ranger engine, his Ranger will be equipped to do the job.

Tom

K, cool.... thanks for the update.....

Todd Z