My turn for the tranny flare......

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy G

Reaction score
I do not drive my ST everyday, and have put less than 50 miles on it since this started......

2001 Job 1 87K miles

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my tranny start to flare betwen 2nd and 3rd. Another thing it started doing at the same time is if I punch the gas at about 45MPH, the tranny would go to downshift, and "miss" the gear...........probably trying to get to 2nd, but not engaging...........I would have to let off the gas to so it would finally "catch".

So, I did my own tranny service, it had only been about 8K since the last one, but I did it anyways, and the EPC project at the same time.

Still have the flare, but not near as bad.... when I first took it out for a drive, I got the flashing OD light...joy..I pulled over, and restarted the truck...OD light gone...and has not come back.....although I haven't driven it more than 20 miles since the service....

Another thing it is doing now, if I floor it, it will ride in 2nd gear all the way to redline without shifting...In fact I have to let off the gas to get it to shift.

Sounds like my 2nd gear solenoid is going out ? Do I need a solenoid pack? anything else I should try first? Flush? Synthetic? Is the EPC pressure now too high?

Any ideas/comments welcome

cheers,

be sure to ck the rubber elbow(emissions) under the intake under the hood. I went to 2 tranny shops who both said the shift solenoid was bad, it was someone here who told me to check the elbow and that was it. I know this sounds strange. My 02 would not shift , had it almost floored once and truck was doing abouy 35 mph , everyone thought the tranny was slipping, including me. My elbow had a crack in it and was sucking air and colapsing. Bought a new one from ford for 35.00 and the truck runs like new. Mine was the front large elbow, the front ant back ones both go bad though. Someone here can tell you more than me though. GL.;)

OK.... I will have to check that out....

I must admit...haven't heard of that one before....anyone else verify?

Mine being a job 1 does not have the "dreaded plastic elbow" that the job 2s have, and it is known for cracking..I am assuming this elbow you are referencing is something else......

Thanks for the input marc,

yep,, check your elbow,, my trani went haywire,, but the check engine light went on first,, then the trani was kind slipping and the o/d light started blinking,, fixed the elbow and it all went away,,