Name that power steering line! Lol

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwbenner

2002 Sport Trac, 315,00 miles and still rollin’
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello all,
I have a 2002 sport track. I developed a power steering fluid leak, took a look at it yesterday, and I’m not sure which aspect of the power steering lines this one is. The one that is leaking looks like it press fits into that housing….(it’s the line I marked in red). I can see the one line is retained by that bracket and the other one has a fitting, but that top center is the one leaking at the base and I’m not sure what it does for a living, or if it replaceable.

I can swing wrenches to fix it, but I was hoping someone here has some intel into what that line does and is it integral to the rack and pinion system?

By the way, I was under the bottom front on the truck, drivers side, looking up and towards the back of the vehicle.

Thanks, Randy

Attachments

• IMG_8313.jpeg
    IMG_8313.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8312.jpeg
    IMG_8312.jpeg
    797.5 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a return line to the pump or to/from the p/s cooler if equiped.

I figured it was a return line because it’s seeping fluid, not hemorrhaging it like a pressure line would. But it’s bad enough I do need to change it. And yes, that does run from the external oil cooler for the power steering.

My concern, though, is servicing this line. It looks like it’s pressure fit into there and not a fitting that I can exchange. And if it is integrated into the rack and pinion body, I’m in for a lot of work for a slow leak.

Update….after looking at pictures of the rack and pinion steering on automotive parts websites, looks like that retaining clip holds both lines in place. As such, I should be able to service it without dropping the whole rack assembly!

Latest posts