Need Assistance - Fire Alarms

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Grumpy

Reaction score
Morning all,

way off topic on this one but there is more knowledge here than anywhere/anyone else I know.

I have six fire alarms in the house. All hard wired with battery back up. Three times in the night (2:30, 4:45 and 6:45) they ALL went off together. They stop after five to ten minutes, it varies. I had the same problem about a year or so ago. Happened 7 or eight times over two days then just stopped.

Any thoughts??????

I do not have the manuals (they are all the same) and the back up 9 volts are relatively fresh.

thanks

grump :blink:

I've had the same thing happen in my house (but I have about ten to deal with). I used compressed air to blow the dirt/dust out of them and they haven't had issues since. If it continues and you want to test if one is bad, you need to wait until they go off (oh, joy) and then systematically, and quickly, unplug each one until they all go off.

Interesting. Having never taken one apart I don't know what kind of contacts are in there. Seems very feasible that dirst/dust could short it. I'll give it a shot.

thanks

grump

Since they are hard wired together, if one goes off they all will... As stated clean and test them all... Especially the ones by heat sources in the night.... Even if the 9 volts are fresh, you could have 1 weak one

Todd Z

Grump...

Had the same issue about a year ago. I have 6 sensors in my home and the upstairs hall way went of three times. Only at night with no one awake.

The company came out to service it for free and determined that it was a static electricity issue due to dust. During the day the humidity was different than at night and did not create the short.

They used a vacuum to clean them but I would think compressed air would do the job as well.

I would suggest you call the Monitor Station before doing so just in case you trip the system. Then once your completed request a test or activate a self test, (my system lets me do that). That way you know your good to go with no damage...

Clean them and if you suspect they are more then 10 years old then replace them. Fire alarms start loosing their efficiency after 5 years. Especially ionization detectors, which you probably have.

Replace the alarms if they are over 10 years old.

Change the batteries in ALL of them. They are supposed to all go off together.

Make sure you don't actually have a fire!

Make sure you don't actually have a fire!
:lol::lol::lol:

That was the first thing I did all three times. The third time I'm thinking just yank 'em all out the ceiling and then in the back of my head the little sane guy steps in "Better safe than sorry".

Thanks everyone for your input, appreciate it. I think maybe I'll just replace them all. Safety first.

TJR, I usually call them smoke detectors too. But when they go off, then I consider it an alarm. Huh, weird maybe? :huh::D

thanks

grump

TJR. The traditional "Smoke Detector" you are referring to is the kind you hang on the ceiling and install a battery. The type I was referring to is part of my alarm system. They are tiny units you can barely see them. I just assumed that is what Grump meant as well. But.... after reading it, it looks like I am wrong and you are correct.

Us Northerners do also call them "Smoke Detectors" too.

Coastie,

actually, both. Traditional looking 5 inch round hung on the ceiling. But all hardwired into the system with battery backup. That's why they all go off together. About ten years old.

cheers

grump

I have several "smoke detectors" in my house...one on each level, all powered by electricity and battery backed-up, and if one goes off they all go off as the are wired together.

Never heard that system or the individual units (if linked or not) called a "Fire Alarms" before.

Hey TJR,

Just how many "levels" do you have in your house? You have "several" smoke detectors, one for each level?

We had the same problem as well. Cleaned the unit and put in new batteries. We have "Smoke Detectors" as well as "Fire Alarms" on both floors of the house. A "Fire Alarm" will call the fire department, through the alarm company, I believe, as well as sound an alarm. A "Smoke Detector" just makes lots of noise.

Free shipping through the end of the year!

same prob a couple years ago. The detedtors work by emitting a small light source that is refelcted in a mirror. if the (very small) mirror gets dust or haze on it, it will trigger.

The service tech that came out showed me how the design of the unit actually leaves it open to failure. the mirror is angled so that dust can settle on it instead of being upside down to alleviate the whole problem.

Almost like they did it on purpose so they could get the service call.

buzz----buzz----buzz----buzz

buzzworth, your detectors are photo-electric. Be glad you have those. They are much more expensive then the standard ionization detectors most people have and usually last longer.

Each type of detector detects fires differently. Photo-electrics detect slow smoldering fires more rapidly. Ionization detectors will detect fast burning fires more rapidly. Ionization detectors will usually give you more false alarms, especially if you have one located near a kitchen. The ideal detector is a combination of both. Usually more expensive though and they are hard to find.

Latest posts