Need Fast Advice! Car in trouble!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a 2004 Mustang, manual transmission. It's been in storage for 8 months, but had a friend start and maintain it while I was deployed. Came back home and sent it to the shop for standard oil change. The car ran great for the 2 weeks. Now when I shift into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear, the car "jumps" and my Maintenance light is on. Having trouble accelerating onto the highway and feels like it's struggling to gain speed.

Fuel intake? Spark plugs? Transmission problem?

What do you guys think?

You need to get the codes read to see what turned on your MIL light. Most auto parts store will read them, or you could go back to shop that did your oil change and ask them to do it. I think you've got bad fuel due to car's having sat for so long. It's not your transmission. How many miles? How long since last fuel filter change? What's condition of air filter? If draining the fuel tank isn't an option I'd fill up with premium fuel and put some miles on it. Start with the codes, then maybe others can advise.

It is your stored fuel. The ethenol is the problem I saw an article. Before you top it off. Pour at least 1/2 gallon of acetone in the tank.

This will clean the system of the ethenol seperation. And you cel should go off in about 100 miles. It will clean the O2 sensors and any crap on the cats from the ethenol seperation.

This was an article by a certified ASE mechanic.

That's really interesting Eddie. Link?

Steve,

I found it on a you-tube mechanics channell. Stumbled on it. I need to check my history, hope to find it. He worked in a garage wearing the striped shirt and ASE patch. So I hope he wasnt a phony.

I know that the ethenol seperation is real. We have E-10 here. I treat all my huricane storage gas, for 7 months. For my generator. Then use it. Recharge my storage the next season.

I have heard of folks adding acetone to their tanks on a regular basis to improve fuel economy. I'll have to search for more on that.

This ethanol is horrible stuff for small engines, especially.

Solve small engine ethanol fuel problems with AMSOIL Quickshot. For auto engines I recommend P.i. Performance Improver.

fresh regular gas is definately a first step, along with some sort of fuel system cleaner. I wuld drain the tank first if you can... if you're going to store it again, mix ethanol-spec Sta-bil in the tank first..

Don't use premium gas unless the car is designed for it, as it requires more compression and engine management to burn it completely. In a regular fuel vehicle, premium will soot up the engine inside, and empty your wallet.

If this thing ran fine for two weeks, I doubt if much of the stored fuel is remaining in the tank.

Cheap way to do this would be to change out the fuel filter, pour in a bottle or two of gumout, Seafoam, Chevron, (whatever high-quality complete fuel system cleaner) and fill it up with fresh fuel, and then drive it.

Agree with using Stabil whenever storing for longer than 30 days. Always store with a full fuel tank too, to keep the condensation in the tank to a minimum.

Keep us posted on this- we learn from others on each one of these posts.

This sounds to me like the air intake boot is loose or broken and allowing unmetered air into the engine. What happens is that when you shift the engine rocks and opens up a gap in the boot and you get those exact symptons.