Need help from software guru Web designer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
I'm looking into designing a website but i'm stuck on which editor to use.

Few years back.... i 've used AOLPRESS but it don't support the new windows system anymore.

So,i'm hopeing someone can give me some good advice on which software to use, that are less headache than microsoft Frontpage.

And out of windows and linex system which is a better platform for video/audio streaming?

:unsure:

I enjoy Macromedia Dreamweaver (4.0, MX) for creating websites but they may be more than you want to spend. They have a stripped down version called Contribute. I have never used it but believe it would do what you need it for.

I cannot answer on the streaming video/audio question.

JT#14

Not a guru by any means, but I use Dreamweaver MX and like it. Had to learn out of necessity. A company called Total Training makes an excellent DVD training series for Dreamweaver (and other Adobe products).

I second what Travis said. Dreamweaver is the only way to go. I'm just a novice and still learning but did this site for a friend with Dreamweaver MX recently.

SeattleSport Trac is correct. FrontPage, Dreamweaver, Drumbeat, etc are webpage designer applications that contain an editor function so you can modify the HTML code they generate.

There is a significant difference in an Editor vs an App. You will pay a significant price for some of the commercially available webpage design apps, while many editors fairly inexpensive and many are even free. You can even use Wordpad to create webpages if you know HTML code, and I know a few people who do just that.

...Rich

If and when you're ready to delve into HTML code itself, the following site has a lot of good information about the different HTML tags and how to use them. It also goes into detail on CSS, XHTML, Javascript, etc.

Another vote for Dreamweaver. I use that at home and also at work, although at work we have to do most in Visual Studio.net.

What type of streaming do you intend to do?

Depending on the amount of data you'll be moving your hardware needs will vary, and how comfortable are you with one OS or the other?

Well i'm please with all the valuable information that I've receive and thanks allot guys.

I all so herd that Dreamweaver is good too

:wub::D

Very nice site TomT .Fer i want to had Video clips about 15mb 5.min long that can run with windows media.I'm not doing live streaming .

You have two choices, place your video clips in a folder of your Web site, or get permission to place it on a streaming video server.

At worst, 100% of a video file on a Web server will have to download before playing can begin. Some formats and players allow progressive download, also called HTTP streaming and fast-start (QuickTime jargon), which allows the viewer to watch the first portion of a movie before all of it has downloaded.

Streaming Video clips in the Real Video, Window Media and Quicktime formats will vary in different connection speeds. Unlike the Streaming Video formats, the .avi video file needs to download completely before it can be viewed.

Stay away from Quicktime, you have to worry about whether the QuickTime player of each of your customers has the proper Streaming Transport setting. Please congratulate the geniuses at Apple.

Here's an example you can check:

Well Fer i was talking to the web Host and they told me the maximum amount of video streaming is 50mb, so i'm going see if i can get a server that can supply more space

Windows IIS has streaming media capability built in. Linux hosting platforms...not sure what you need to add. I haven't run across it in my Linux experiences.