Need help identifying WWII Medals and Patches (many pics)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
My grandfather passed away on 7/7 and one of the things that was given to me were his medals from service in the Army in WWII. Can anyone give me some information on the items pictured? Maybe something like what they are, what they mean and how they were given. I also have his dog tags. Can any history of his service be found out from the numbers on there? I know he was in many places including France and Italy during the war but he didn't like to talk much about it. Thanks!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

The first red & white metal is the Army Good Conduct Medal. The multicolored ones are Expeditionary medals and Campaing medals. The ribbons are the less formal form of these same awards warn with a Class-A uniform where the actual hanging medals was only worn with the full-dress uniforms

The Cross is a Marksmenship badge but is missing the upper mounting pin part.

The "US" buttons are US Army collar pins

The Wheel & Wing button is a US Army Transportation corp Collar pin.

The black ribbon medal is Italian, not american

I think the 4 large gold braided bars are some kind of Eppelette rank insignia, but it is not American.

The large "A" patch is an old Air Borne patch.

Not sure about most of the others

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is some info for you.

The first medal is for Good Conduct.

The Army Good Conduct Medal is awarded for exemplary behavior, efficiency, and fidelity in active Federal Military service. It is awarded on a selective basis to each enlisted soldier who distinguishes himself from among his fellow soldiers by exemplary conduct, efficiency and fidelity throughout the specified period of continuous enlisted active Federal Military service. Qualifying service includes each 3 years completed after 27 August 1940 or, for first award only, upon completion of at least one year upon termination of service, if separated prior o three years. The immediate Commander must approve the award and the award must be announced in perminent orders.

During wartime the Army Good Conduct Medal may be awarded on completion of one year of continuous service rather than three. Executive Order 9323, March 31, 1943 lowered this time limit for service during the Second World War, and it was amended by Executive Order 10444 on April 10, 1953 applying the one-year ruling to the Korean Conflict, (1950-1954) and to any future period in which the United States is at war, including the war in Vietnam, (1964-1973).

The "A" is the 1st Army Patch which was worn from 7 March 1949 to Present.

Transportation Enlisted Collar Device

In 1919, "a winged car wheel, flanged, on a rail, surrounded by a rim one inch in diameter" was approved as the insignia of the Transportation Corps. The Army Reorganization Act, 4 June 1920, placed all transportation except military railways under the Quartermaster General. The Transportation Corps essentially in its present form was organized on 31 July 1942 as a result of the Army reorganization of 1942 and has functioned since then as one of the services. The present Transportation Corps insignia is based on that of the World War I Corps, with shield and ship's wheel added. The winged car wheel is for rail transportation and the Mariner's helm for transport by water. The U.S. highway marker shield is for land transportation.

The three oval patches are for European Theater Operations, and are upside down.

Worn: 30 September 1943 - 25 February 1944.

The design of the insignia, approved in 1943 by the quartermaster general, is that of twin thunder bolts which represents ground and air forces breaking the chain enslaving Europe. The thunderbolts form the letter "V," the "Victory" symbol, common to both the British and United States forces.

The three ribbon bars are also upside down.

The proper order from left to right, is the Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign Medal, and then the European-Africa-Middle Eastern (EAME) Campaign Medal.

The American Campaign Medal is awarded for service within the American theater between 7 Dec 41 and 2 Mar 46, under any of the following conditions:

1. Permanent assignment outside the Continental United States.

2. Permanent assignment as aircrew members of airplanes making frequent flights over ocean waters for a period of 30 consecutive days or 60 days nonconsecutive

3. Outside the Continental United States in a passenger status or on temporary duty (TDY) for 30 consecutive days or 60 days nonconsecutive

4. In active combat against the enemy, if personnel were awarded a combat decoration or furnished a certificate by the unit's commander stating that they actually participated in combat; or

5. Served within the Continental United States for an aggregate period of 1 year. Personnel who were assigned or attached to and present for duty with a unit that was accorded battle credit for the Antisubmarine Campaign are entitled to wear a bronze service star.

Ribbon Device Attachments:

1. 3/16" Bronze Campaign Star

The European-Africa-Middle Eastern (EAME) Campaign Medal was awarded to personnel for service within the European-African-Middle Eastern Theater between 7 December 1941 and 8 November 1945 under any of the following conditions:

1. On permanent assignment.

2. As a passenger or on temporary duty for 30 consecutive days (60 on-consecutive).

3. In active combat against the enemy and was awarded a combat decoration or furnished a certificate by the Commanding General of a Corps, higher unit, or independent force, that he actually participated in combat.

The EAME Theater included Europe, European Russia, Greenland, Iceland, Africa, Iran, Iraq, and Turkey.

Ribbon Device Attachments:

1. Bronze Arrowhead

2. Bronze 3/16" Campaign Star

In addition to the Good Conduct ribbon, there's an American Campaign ribbon. There's also a European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign ribbon with two service stars, which means he served in two campaigns.

hey George, my dad has some old catalogs with all the info and stuff youd want on them plus projects if youd want to make a shadow box and such...

ill get the name and let you know!

The following campaigns are recognized by service stars to the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal.

Egypt-Libya: June 11, 1942 February 12, 1943

Air Offensive, Europe: July 4, 1942 June 5, 1944

Algeria-French Morocco: November 811, 1942

Tunisia: November 12, 1942 May 13, 1943

Sicily: May 14, 1943 August 17, 1943

Naples-Foggia: August 18, 1943 January 21, 1944

Anzio: January 22, 1944 May 24, 1944

Rome-Arno: January 22, 1944 September 9, 1944

Normandy: June 6, 1944 July 24, 1944

Northern France: July 25, 1944 September 14, 1944

Southern France: August 15, 1944 September 14, 1944

Northern Apennines: September 10, 1944 April 4, 1945

Rhineland: September 15, 1944 March 21, 1945

Ardennes-Alsace: December 16, 1944 January 25, 1945

Central Europe: March 22, 1945 May 11, 1945

Po Valley: April 5, 1945 May 8, 1945

For those service members who did not participate in a designated battle campaign, the following "blanket campaigns" are authorized to the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, denoted by service stars

Antisubmarine: December 7, 1941 September 2, 1945

Ground Combat: December 7, 1941 September 2, 1945

Air Combat: December 7, 1941 September 2, 1945

It's a little disappointing that the campaign my grandfather was a part of is considered a "blanket campaign" by the above deffinition. There were a ton of Americans serving in Burma too. You don't hear about it much, as it is just another one of the "forgotten" parts of the war.

shaun t,

I agree that much of the Pacific campaigns in WWII were forgotten or for the most part passed over. My late father-in-law fought the Japanese on the Aleutian Islands, in Alaska. Most people don't even know that the Japanese actually landed a force and actually occupied American soil. The US Army had to launch and invasion to wipe-out the Japanese to regain our island.

Tracket Paul & Mark K,

You guys really did some great research on the details of those campaign medals. I also noted that the 3 ribbon strips were photographed upside-dwon, but since George C was not former military, he might not understand how the highest ranking awards are displayed higher and closer to the heart.

...Rich

no no no, George just placed the images upside down when he was inserting them into the thread.... He actually took the pics with the correct side UP.

Right George? :grin:

Guys,

Thank you so much for all the great information. I appreciate the time you took to research and type it all out too!

Shaun, I wish that was the case but Richard is correct. :grin:

Ray, I would appreciate it if you could get me the information. I would definitely like to do something with these and a shadow box sounds great.

George

Latest posts