Need help Networking XP/98

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
Well I'd like to say great pic from the meet guys . Anyhow in order to network 2 pc do i need 2 IP address?

Because i set up my wireless laptop along with one of my desktop, that both have win XP and everything went well. Then i attemp to set up my third pc which as win 98 and then comes the headache. For the past weekl i have tryed setting up and i cannot get it to work. I have tryed talking with Dlink tech support because i'm using a DI524 wireless Ethernet Router and they still cannot get it to work. So does anyone here a guru on networking that can shade some light on what to do

Is it possiable becasue i'm running to diff OS on one of the pc.:unsure:

I have a cable router and have no problem using XP on one machine and ME on another and 98SE on a laptop and am running fine with one IP address. The router doesn't care what OS you use. Just make sure you have TCIP on all of them and that you have WINS disabled and DHIP (or whatever it is called) enabled.

I got it working after, i spoke to a 4 diff senior tech last week @ DLink for a combine of 9 hours and they never thought of telling me to reset the router. Just a hunch i figure to use a paper clip and stuck in the reset hole and walla ...the darn thing works.Thanks guy for the help anyways:D:cool:

Are you trying to just get it on the network to get online or are you trying to set up a real network with file and print sharing? Either way all computers need their own unique IP address on the internal network. If the router is set up for dhcp this will take care of it for you. If you are setting up a real network make sure all computers have passwords or this will cause problems with sharing.

Mixing OS's is 100% fine.

George

Last edited by a moderator: