Need help understanding some symbols in Ford shop manual

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal keiner

Reaction score
I have a Ford shop manual and I want to firm up my understanding of what two symbols in the manual mean. The below linked pic shows a page from the manual highlighting the two symbols that I mean These are:

1) A circle with an arrow pointing to one of four postions (0,I,II, or III). Depending on the step, the arrow may be pointing to any one of these positions. I am guessing that this symbol indicates at what position the ignition key should be in when performing the subsequent step in the manual. If this is correct, can someone explain what all four positions mean? The manual does not seem to explain this anywhere. I am guessing that "0" means the key is in the off position but don't want to guess at the other positions wrongly and either damage something electrical or get a false test result when performing a step.

2) A pair of blocks (one white and one black) that are either separated or joined together. I am guessing that if the blocks are separated, then the connector described below the image should be unplugged/unconnected and if the blocks are joined together, then the connector should be plugged/connected together.

I am surprised that the manual forward does not have a key or explanation for the symbols used in the manual but I guess it may be so commonly understood that it is felt unneccesary to state the obvious (to Ford mechanics anyway).

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The first picture is the ignition switch. Normally it is 1-Off, 2-ACC, 3-Run, 4-Start.

The second picture looks like a relay (black) and the plug it's in. If I read this right, you remove the starter relay, and check the plug (pin 85) with your volt meter. If there's power there when you turn the key to start, then the test in question passes.