Need Help with a PC Server Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary L

Reaction score
Well i don't know much about servers.But how much pc knowledge or what would i need in order to run my own server for web hosting:unsure:

All depends on what you're trying to do, and the system requirements your software has.

Technically you can run any intel based software / OS on a PC that meets specs. Server class hardware defines a level of performance, redundancy, fault tolerance, and if you go the OEM route, troubleshooting and support tools.

If you're hosting your site for commercial purposes, you need to make sure your ISP does not require you to open a business account with them, most do.

You'd want to have a static IP address, but I believe if you register with ddns.org, it will track your dynamic IP... dynamically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really depends on what you want to do with the hosting. If you want to host just a few files for people on your computer not much but if you want to host secure things its a little more complicated. What do you want to with your server? Also there are plenty of free web hosting places that I would try if you just want a simple web page.

Ed has a good point. Companies like VeriSign offer all-in-one solutions for an annual price. Network Solutions does so as well.

That may be more economical over the long term.

i use www.dynu.com for free dynamic dns service. i have a dedicated pc for server running windows 2000 server. you can use xp to do this also...

www.sideoiler.dynu.com

You wanted to "run music and video files" between what and what?

Between your PC and your video/audio equipment?

If so, you can turn your PC into a media server rather inexensively, assuming your audio and video equipment is near a home network drop.

I use Hauppauge's Media MVP for this (under $80) and it works great. It turns any Windows PC running 2000 or XP into a streaming server. It shares and streams music files, videos, picture files, and even can stream Internet radio:

Star36, can you explain what you want to stream to:

a. other PCs in your house

b. other PCs across the Internet

c. to audio/video equipment in your home

If you are looking for c only, than that's what MediaMVP provides, and it is a single receiver (though you could buy multiple and your PC could stream to all of them).

I am still trying to figure out what type of streaming application you need.

TJR

Well first off this b.s. needs to be said. If they its copyrighted material then no server in the US will allow you to host it there and most places unless asia will not allow you to host it there.

ok now that is out of the way. How many people do you want to share this with? because if its alot you cannot do it on your home computer because your ISP will notice and cancel your account. They really dont care to much how much you download its the uploading they care about. I would suggest a server in asia that is cheap and allows and lot of transfers because the music videos which are normally anywhere from 10mb to 75mb will add up quick. But it will be slower but with what you are talking about will probably fine. If they are legal things then i suggest a site in the us with unlimited bandwith. Let me know if you have any other questions

What Ed said....as long as you have the rights to distribute the music then you have some options, but streaming software isn't cheap, unless you go open source, then it isn't for the novice. Of course, you could just host the files via a web server, which technically isn't streaming, but as Ed said, any hosting site can do that for you.

TJR