Need help with my temp display/compass

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Beals

Reaction score
I looked back 4 pages and didnt see this issue addressed, so if it has been posted before please link.

I have an '04. My temp/compass display is located just above my rear view mirror and has been going out, actually I thought it was out. Then, I pushed the button for one of the overhead lamps and it came back on.

Usually, if I just push up on the hard plastic shell of the unit it will come back on. Sometimes it stays on for a while, sometimes it immediately fades. I assume something is loose or has bad contact, etc. but where do I start with this?

Thanks in advance.

So...Pittsburgh is probably too far away for you to come over and just fix this, huh. My grandpa lives out there. Ill let you know if I head that way!

In all seriousness, thanks for the reply. It gives me some direction. :haveabeer:

Jerry, I see you threw in the statement that your soldering pencil was from Harbor Freight. I assume you have got a lot of use out of it with no problems. If so that's worth bragging about as you have had better luck with them than I. It is a discount tool store for us weekend mechanics who don't use the tools often, so I don't expect the best quality. Its hit or miss at that store with me, but I still cant stop going back like a kid in a candy store LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
The secret with the cheap soldering pencils is not to keep it plugged in for too long to...

1. control the heat

2. it's plastic handle, I don't trust it to be plugged in too long. I have used it for a couple different projects.

Someone on Ebay will for $36 take your assembly, repair what's wrong and check all switches/lights if you don't feel like doing it yourself. I think that includes return shipping as well.