Need help with NetGear WGR614 Router

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Rueckert

Reaction score
I have my desktop and my laptop set up with a NetGear WGR614 Router. How do I lock down my connection so when I go to "view all available wireless connections", that the little lock will appear next to mine? Thanks in advance for any help! -Heather :)

you need to encrypt it with WEP or some other kind of code so nobody can access it. It can be done through your routers software.....

WEP is good but a WPA setup would be more secure. Search your manufacturers site and I'm sure you'll find help.

C

Type in '192.168.1.1' in your browser address line. This should get you to your LinkSys Logon Screen. Once inside you should be able to follow the tabs to set the router security. Then you will have to set equivalent security on your laptop with wireless connections - properties.

I think.

Edit: I even matched the capitals in the name and it still didn't sink in. Doh.

Last edited by a moderator:
fy10lyny-She has a netgear router. I think their protocol is different. I use linksys as well and that is the IP address for linksys.

C

I thought it was guys that did not read manuals or ask for directions?

Would give assistance but I do not use NetGear and have no clue on their interface.

Good luck.

heather it isnt really that hard......step by step actually. definately check out the manual if you dont feel comfortable with doing it, but it is really easy;)

It is easy once you are in the settings of your router. I use a Netgear wireless myself. All directions can be found on the Netgear website if you no longer have your manual. If at all possible you want to use the WPA encryption method. This one simply requires that you create a password and only someone with your password can log onto your wireless network. The other post is correct that you only need to enter the IP address of your router into Internet Explorer and then you are in to the settings mode of the router. I do not know what this IP address is for you particular router but it will be in your manual or on the website.

I have a NetGear (can't remember the model...).

The admin address is "http:\\192.168.0.1".

If you've never been there before, your manual should tell you the default user/pwd. Change the password right away.

Second, secure your wireless connection with WEP (or others) with at least 128 encryption.

Third, pick an SID that you will remember and select the option that says "don't publish SID"; this way, your neighbors won't even see it.

Last; go back to your client (PC or laptop) settings of the card and update it with this new encryption info. You will need to know the SID, and the passphrase of it (sometimes in Hex, sometimes in ascii). btw : to make this passphrase usefull, mix it with random letters and numbers, as well as upper/lower case. Ex : 8dhRsl382I8CDe2gk

After you set that up on both your computers, you should now be able to surf the web again. If you notice that some IM programs stop working, then write back over here, we'll tell you how to punch holes in your firewall.

Latest posts