Need References

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
I am ready to put an exhaust on my STA, does anyone know of any good shops in the Orlando area that I can take it to? I will probably ask for something to be fabbed not just installing a muffler. I have no problem paying for quality work so I'm not necessarily looking for cheap.

Thanks

Wouldn't a Magnaflow kit or similar be the best then ???

The OEM pipe and the aftermarket kits are all 2.5 inch for the ST......

a muffler install and removal of the resonator and muffler will give a nice sound and not hurt the pocket..

Just a thought..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Oftentimes you can get a cat-back custom cheaper than the kit. My cat-back custom single-out with a FM Delta Flow 40 cost only $160 back in '05. Kits were well over $300.

Thanks for the reply and I was looking into that but they don't have a kit for the Adrenalin, everything I've seen was side exit and I'd like to go with a dual exhaust system.

Another thing I'm wondering is who makes a Hi-Flow but low noise muffler? I can appreciate a nice sounding vehicle but my preference is quiet inside the cab. I don't want the radio competing with the exhaust drone.

For what ever you choose. Make sure the muffler is as close the rear it will mount. That will cut down on cabin drone.

50 suv May be better for you...

Todd Z

I would initially try to run both out the one side if not maybe do a second cut out on the other side and get another stock tip. I'd just have to re-enforce the cut out with a plate of some kind.

I've talked to a couple of people who have mentioned the 50 SUV so I may go that route.

One person/shop suggested a magnaflow and said he could fab a dual setup for about 450 plus the muffler/s.

I wonder if a dual in / dual out single muffler would work out ok?

$450 plus the mufflers!!? That better be mandrel bent and all stainless..... if not, that price is

way too high.

Not if he's talking about two mufflers and having custom dual pipes bent to fit the already tight underbody of the Gen 2 IRS Sport Trac. If dual pipes are even possible, it's going to be a time-consuming, labor-intensive task. The majority of the $450 estimate will be labor costs.

I am heading down to the shop now, the $450 was for a fabricated dual exhaust from the Cats back. The person I talked to said he was familiar with the Gen2 but not the STA and that it could be a little more or it could be a little less he wants to put it up on the rack to look at it.

I'll update when I get back. :)

I'm pretty sure a single highflow is the way to go. I did tons of research on this when I did my exhaust. There are a few reasons. The ones that truck me the most were 1) Torque loss with dual exhaust and 2) space, it didn't look like there was an easy way to route the pipes under the truck. 3) You would have to modify or remove the rear molded trim panel.

There are no kits for the STA being that we have a rear exit. My suggestion would be to replace the resonator and muffler with something else.

Adrain Drenalin did a pretty silent yet aggressive setup using two Magnaflow mufflers in place of the stick muffler and resonator. Magnaflow has an amazing sound. Like nothing else. It flows better than most. I've always been a fan of Magnaflow and Flowmaster.

Honestly, I'd try just changing out the resonator lol. When I put my muffler on without removing the resonator it made no difference in sound. Once the resonator was removed it was a night and day difference.

Well I am back, and here is the update:

I took my STA to a shop right up the road here. They came highly recommended and the guys there are all gear heads.

We put it on the rack and it didn't take long to figure out that any dual would be a single side exhaust. The fuel tank runs pretty much the entire mid section on the R/H side of the Trac.

It didn't take long after that to see that there is very little clearance on the L/H side heading over the axle. The guy who did the actual fab work said that it was possible to do it but not very practical at all and he really couldn't guarantee the clearance during actual road use.

At that point I opted for just a single exhaust and decided to go with the magnaflow. My next decision was whether or not to remove the resonator... I decided to remove it. They did a great job on the alignment and the welds are all flawless. While it was up I got to take a good look underneath just to get an idea of what we have.

Once he was finished and let it down we started it up, it had that deistinctive magnaflow sound. Definitely talks like a V8 now, there is no denying it. The total cost with labor and materials was $237.41 which I thought was pretty good for what I got.

Driving it around for a bit now I'm worried I may not be able to get used to it. Inside it's a little lounder than I had hoped but it's not over bearing... yet. The manager had me keep the resonator when I left just in case I decided I wanted to have it reinstalled and that is definitely a possibilty. He had suggested that we install just the muffler first but I thought it'd be ok so we'll see how it goes.

It breathes much better now, the restrictive feel is gone. The transmission shifts a bit smoother also. I didn't really feel anything at idle because that was already smooth as silk since I installed the Noc Perf intake.

All in all I'm happy with it but I may wind up redoing the resonator, I'm just worried about the restriction it may cause. But at this point I'm saying "Good Mod" :banana::cool::D

Just add a second Magnaflow unit to act as a resonator. We have a 08 STA guy that did this and his still sounds great. A little to noiseless for me.

Latest posts