New '05 owner!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Borduas

Reaction score
We just purchased our 1st Sport Trac!

new 2005 XLT 2WD, only a dozen miles on it..

Pick up is Friday after work... anything I need to look for/do this weekend?

Any known issues I should pay close attention to?

The wife is already shopping for furniture to carry :lol:

I don't get it how is the 05 "new"

anways good job on picking a great truck/suv w/e u want to call it.

to do this weekend? wash and wax the baby and get to modding!

Well it's new to them and with only a dozen miles on it I'm guessing that it's a leftover that never sold and was never titled...ergo, new.

If it's only got a dozen miles on it then it's the same as new. Especially if it still has that new car smell.

Congratulations Slacker. I have an 02 so I don't know much about the 05 but if they are the same then ditch the oem brakes and shocks. Just search around on this site and you will gets lots of info. (And probably go into debt).

Congratulations Slacker on the purchase of your new ST.:D

Upgrade the shocks as soon as you can afford them. I like KYB for the rear and Edelbrock IAS for the front.

Replace the rear sway bar with the one from Explorer Express.

Since 2003, disc brakes on the rear are standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site and Congrats on your new vehicle!

As TomT pointed out get rid of the shocks ASAP! If you do a search listing shocks here you may find the stock# for the Monroe Reflex shocks, which are pretty reasonably priced. I think I paid $180. - $190. for all 4 and put them on myself. Pretty easy install, especially if I can do it!

May want to look at getting a better cold air induction kit like MAC or K & N, they have some similar to those 2 that are cheaper, but either way will give a definite improvement on your drive and if you keep your foot out of it will help mpg's though not drastically.

Best recommendation I could suggest would be to stay tuned in here and if you got any questions about your ST don't hesitate to post 'em.

D-

Congrats and welcome!

Just to reiterate Paul's comment, the shocks are a known deficiency in the 1st generation Sport Trac. Wait for a good deal on a set of quality gas-charged shocks and upgrade.

Congrats, Good luck with it..

Todd Z

I've only done a few thing to my 01 ST but looking back, a couple of things I wouldn't want to part with are the EE sway bar and the bed mat. If you start with those I'm sure you'll be pleased.

The ST is new, still has the sticker in the window, plastic on the seats, etc... just a leftover that never sold or been out on many test drives...

We had to take it the Focus for some servicing last Friday... Decided to walk around the lot to kill time, saw this ST sitting there (4 '07 at the front for everyone to see, but this one tucked away). Asked about it... Wife qualifies for the A-plan, got a deal put together, and it's mine...

thanks for all the suggestions!

Before the winter comes, you may want to buy the all-weather floor mats from Ford. Those light grey mats will be ruined in a matter of weeks otherwise. They stain very easily.

Issues I'd watch for are the rough shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear, and excessive bouncing over bumps. As others have said, the shocks will go bad quickly, and it will be difficult to control the vehicle over bumps. Also, your gas mileage will be horrible until you break in the motor. The mileage will gradually improve.

Install:

- New shocks (as others have said)

- In-channel vent visors and the Ford OEM rear window visor

- The all weather mats (as Nelson said)

Learn:

- The name "Rusty" (he sells through www.fordpartsfast.com).. he sells good stuff cheap.

TJR

Nice deal and welcome. You could always search through member librarys and check out all the mods we have done and pick out what you like.

Gary D. in CT

Latest posts