New 2010 Adrenalin Owner, 4.0 SOHC, need help finding turbo or supercharger mod

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I am somewhat surprised only a max of 20HP gain with a tune. I sort of was hoping to get more gain or closer to the V8. So what other none evasive and quick mod can get you closer?

Probably none.... Thats the best bang for the buck mod that is non forced induction and bolt on..

Todd Z

ok, so not to let this go, are all the tunes designed for the V6 about the same and only kicking about 20HP extra? Or better yet, is anyone getting more than that?

If not, I would have to agree with Bill. Unless this mod is rela cheap (anyone know average costs??), I would say it would not be worth the effort.

One last thing, when I added a CAI and Tune to my GT500, I purchased the FRPP Tune from Ford Racing as it was the only one that would not void a warranty is an issue occured. Do these tune on a ST V6 void warranties?

The dealer has to PROVE with out a doubt that the tune caused the issue.... Also you can simply flash the computer back to stock if there is ever an issue...

Can not compare the output via a tune from a v8 to a v6.....

Also the numbers i posted are on a BONE stock ST.... We did not compare tunes with a high bolt on modded st..

I know the tuner that did my 03 st got me 7 more RWHP ( about 8 Flywheel) more HP from a box tune to a dyno tune.....

THIS is a TRUCK, not a race car..... But it can be made a lot more fun to drive and if you like to mod things with out the worry of $$ or the worry of 10 HP or 2...

Todd Z

Todd, fully understand this is a truck and not a race car, but somehow a tune that provides less than 10HP (according to your numbers) is even worse that I thought, and surely not worth spending money on, in my opinion. Why would you flash a tune in, and "hope" you can flash it back if it has to go to the dealer, for a 10HP risk? Say you are out of town, highway bound, and need a tow to a dealer??? Not like you carry the tune and tuner, so in my opinion, why would anyone take the chance to put a tune on the truck that you have the "Potential" to have issue with? And trust me, it is NOT in the dealers court to have to PROVE the tune caused the issue, if any. Not sure, but I can assure you, all the dealer needs to see is an engine mod or tune to tottaly disqualify the warranty... look in the fine print for OEM warranties! That is a false statement, and not one anyone here should be sold on! So if you do tune a motor, you best hope you "can" reflash it back if it has to go to a dealer! I can almost with 100% tell you, the dealer will NOT honor if a tune is present!

Not sure about the rest of the guys here, but if you are going to spend any money on a mod, it has to be worth it. I am all for fun and games, but not at the risk of a motor. A tune for 8-10 HP is not worth it, and money ill spent, unless I am missing something. If you must mod, seems you are better off doing so on cosmetic mods!

Just my .02 - Rant off.

Todd was saying that his custom written tune gained 7 more HP than the generic tune that came with his Xcal. Also, I carry my Xcal in my glove box. I can change my tune anytime I need.

On the Gen2s it may not be enough to switch back to OEM tune in the event of a drivetrain failure and a warranty claim.

I popped a rod well under warranty on the Roush, dealer sent the PCM back to Roush.

Claim Denied, they knew after downloading the info that I had Changed the blower pully, upped the Boost and busted the engine.

would almost bet ford would do the same on the new models.

Oh, I did not realize Todd sold a custom tune... so then his only gets an extra 7, then what does a "XCAL" or other pro tune get overall on a base 4.0 V6 otherwise stock? Am I getting confused here, or do those tunes get you 20, and Todd's adds 7-8, for a total of near 30HP gains? If so, no we are talking and that may be worth it, and you may even feel the difference! Someone just needs to spell that out. I do not think I am the only one confused??

The tune and the exhaust were my best mods. The Throttle Body really didn't do that much but I think if it were the only mod I had done, I would notice a significant gain. Combined withe all teh others I think I was reaching the cap on the potential I was willing to invest in.

The K&N FIPK was a great bolt on in terms of performance but it has a really annoying whistle when it's cold out and it just drives me crazy during really cold winter drives to work. It usually goes away after about 10 minutes of run time.

If I had the money I would supercharge my STA in a heartbeat. 470hp from 292 base OEM is AWESOME for a 4600 pound vehicle. I've spent about $1100 give or take a little on all my performance mods. I would do it again because I enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a 93 octane map from Fastpartsnetwork with an Xcal3. I did a magnaflow miffler and resonator delete. If you click on my profile I've listed everything and my link will tak eyou to pics with my cardomain page.

Everything together probably 25-35hp increase give or take a few hp. The Tuner made everything come alive.

I also got better fuel economy on average. I don't really get on it much but I gain an avg of 3mpg after all the mods were complete. Made most of the difference in city driving.

I wanted to do front and rear gears (AWD), lowering springs and a good UDP set but I pretty much ran out of desire to get it done lol.

better fuel economy but higher fuel costs? Equals out pretty much? But thanks for your response, best so far when it comes to logic. You spent about $1100 on mods, and your HP gains are about 30HP, which is not bad. Price wise, not sure what a basic good tune and tuner costs, but if you could get 30HP for a few hundred bucks with that, I would do it. Other than that, most guys appear to be modding for the sport and excess cash on hand, not for any real benefit!.. I want bang for buck, or no buck LOL

I dont sell any tunes or do any tuning at all........

Read my posts.....

P.S I am done with this thread, we hijacked it and it is soo far off track it is just shot..

Todd Z

I saved a lot of money because I bought the cutout and the throttle body used right here from various members.

The throttle body was in MINT condition. I didn't want to spend $170 on a new cutout because I heard that the electric motors burn up after awhile. I wanted to experiance it and I did. It did burn out. I will buy a new one because it was EXTREMELY fun.

Last edited by a moderator: