new 5.13 gears on the way-- yay

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
Okay, Today I ordered a 5.13 ring & pinion set, major install kit (bearings,seals,crush sleeve,etc.etc,) and rear wheel bearings. I have an appointment to have it all installed on this coming Monday. Cost will be around 750.00 total.

I'm hoping that this fixes my vibration, my growling rear end & gives me better acceleration.

Wish me luck.

BTW anyone know what kind of acceleration increase a gear change will give? (from 4.10 to 5.13) I understand though that I do have 37" tires so my "final" gear ratio wont be near as extreme as 5.13s with a stock tire.

It probably will be the same as with the stock tires and 3.73..... I am sure if you did the calculations it will be close....

When they have it apart, have them check the balance on the drive shaft, and spin the axles to check to see if they are bent..

Good luck,

It should haul butt......

Todd Z

According to the gear calculator charts with my 37s & the 4.10 I am at approx. 3.32

with 5.13s it should be more like 4.16

So not a lot different then the stock tires with 4.10s?

Nope, it will hardly be noticeable then. you will never notice .06. Hey your speedo will be correct again.... :)

Todd Z

naw, Go down to 235/60/16 then have a smokeum party!!!!!

Josh. The ring & pinion was 198.53, The major install kit was 89.71 & I went ahead & got rear wheel bearings for another 30 bucks. 2 day shipping added another 45.00

My local guy is charging me 327 for the install.

SWEET! Thanks man! Yea, I've been HURTING since I got the larger 265/75R16 Tires on the Trac... Plan on getting my gear ratio up, but not sure what I am going to go to.. My stock was 3.73, but I know right now, well.. It's GOT to be terriable...

~Josh

SWEET! Thanks man! Yea, I've been HURTING since I got the larger 265/75R16 Tires on the Trac... Plan on getting my gear ratio up, but not sure what I am going to go to.. My stock was 3.73, but I know right now, well.. It's GOT to be terriable...

~Josh

Josh, he has 37 on there you going to the 265 is not that drastic, I would not recommend you go with 5:13's like he did... Your mpg will severely suffer, not to mention the high revs of the engine on the parkway...

I say go 4:56

Todd Z