New Gun Purchase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelby Crane

Reaction score

I am going to purchase a new .300 Win Mag rifle for my next trip to South Africa. Problem is, I cannot decide which to purchase. I have been looking for a CZ550 Safari Magnum in .300 cal but I can't find one.... so....

Any suggestions on a .300 cal rifle? I'm looking in the $750 - $1500 price range w/o scope.

Are some .416 rigbys, and 458 Win mags on gunbroker by CZ, would contact the sellers (most are dealers) see what they can do.

I have, everyone is at the shot show this week so nobody is available to answer questions. Thought I would see if anyone could come up with any other rifles.

I love CZ rifles. Great triggers.

But I'd chose a Savage Hunter series with an Accutrigger for the trip. Spend the savings on a Sightron S3, Leupold VXIII, Weaver Grand Slam, Burris Signature, Bushnell Elite 4200, etc., plus some top quality ammo.

Savage rifles are very accurate out of the box. The Accutrigger works really well, and is adjustable to your preference. Not the prettiest gun (although they've improved recently), so you don't have to worry about beating it up while travelling with it.

If you aren't hunting dangerous game, and are willing to make do with a single shot, a Ruger Number One would be a nice African game rifle.

I am going to purchase a new .300 Win Mag rifle for my next trip to South Africa.

I am so jealous of you. I have a good friend that is from South Africa. One day I am going to kill something there.

Must...be....patient...

Tom

Rich - I too like the Savage - In fact, I took a Savage 7mm on my last trip there in May 08. It took 8 plains game animals nicely and I used a .222 w/ silencer to take another unmentionable animal.

Looking for something a little different this time but thanks for the suggestion.

We are hunting dangerous game, but I intend to use my CZ550 .375 H&H for the Cape Buffalo and Lion.

Just wanting a .300 win mag for more plains game. Guess I am going to have to take a look at the Remington 700 and Browning A-Bolt.

Caymen - Save your money and go. I promise it will be the trip of life time. I'm addicted and committed to saving and going every two to three years.

Latest posts