New motorcyclist on the road!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Easley

Reaction score
Just got my permit! Taking a safety/certification course through the BMV in a few months! Bout ready to get a new set of wheels. Anyone one else have a motorcycle?

I've been looking on craigslist for a cheap bike to practice on cuz my dad's Harley is waaaay to big for me. EXCITED

:driving:

Just don't forget to do what they taught you. Your life depends on it. Everthing on and off the road is potentialy deadly. Congrats and be safe, Bob

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes congrats and be safe! It doesn't matter how good you are if the other guy isn't paying attention. I've had two friends who have been ran off the road and not in a good way. Situational awareness and really loud mufflers!

Yep! 2004 Kawaski Mean Streak 1600. I've been riding it nearly all winter to work and back.

This picture is a little old. I've added leather saddle bags to it since.

Ride like you are INVISIBLE...

[Broken External Image]:

Chris, good article.

Though I sold my Harley over 15yrs ago. I keep renewing my M code. Someday when the $$ are there. It will be a learning experiance again. I have road a few freinds. It wasnt the same when I was regular.

Met a guy offering a good price on a police Harley. Just havent looked at it.

As the article says you are invisisble. Riding defensively saved my arse many times.

Only crash I had. I was drunk...my fault. I dont drink anymore....

Congrats! Since you are a beginner, make it routine to wear a helmet.

We're one of the states with an "optional" helmet law. Seems to be a daily

occurrence that a rider without a helmet becomes another statistic.

No guarantee of survival wearing one, your chances are much better. Be safe.

Awesome! Thanks guys for all the pointers!

Alright, I need some help here because I never bought a motorcycle/used vehicle and I have been putting some questions together and was wondering what sort of input you had on them...

- Why are you selling?

- Is it registered/have a clean title?

- Has it been modified in any way?

- Has the engine been taken apart/rebuilt?

- What sort of riding did you do with the bike?

- Did you regularly service the motorcycle and can you provided any service receipts? How often?

- Are you the first and only owner? If not, do you know the previous owners riding habits?

- How/where do you store it over the winter?

- Can you cold start it for me?

- Has it been wrecked?

- How old are the... (tires, brakes, oil, etc.)

- What work do you do on the bike yourself?

Now in terms of an inspection what should I be looking for? I thought about researching the particular model of bike before buying just to get a feel for what a "new" version of that bike looks like, but more specifically, I'm not an mechanic and don't have any friends up here who own a motorcycle. I thought about bringing a friend to help me in asking questions, but would it be weird to ask if can be inspected before I buy? What about asking for a test ride? I say ride, if it is possible, because I don't know how to drive one yet... haha

Potential first candidate could be a 1981 Honda CB750F Super Sport I found near me... we'll see...

:banana:

J.B.

Hell, you can get the basic Sportster for no money down and $99/month!! This way, its brand new, has a warranty and regular service can be handled at the dealer. This way you'll have all the records. In my mind, thats a great deal....Bob

Bought this in October of last year but the back, wrists and hands can't take the stress so gonna get a cruiser. oh and btw, spent $500 on this so keep looking. You will find something.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I started with a 125 trail bike and kept moving up. Gave me the ability to jump, slide, lay it down and learn to throw the bike around. Always drove like everyone in the world was trying to run over me and never had a problem I could not handle.

Most rider accidents occur within the first six months.

Enjoy the ride.

Latest posts