New plugs and wires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a fun weekend replacing the plugs and wires on my Trac. I used the Taylor wires from Summit and Autolite Double Platinum plugs. To make a long story short, it has a miss now. I unplugged all the boots and re-seated them. Could I have a bad wire or plug? I used the dielectric grease that came with the wires which I never do becasue it seems I have problems when I do. Could that be the culprit? Yesterday the check engine light was on, but this morning its not. I was hoping to take it by Autozone so they could hook it up and tell me which cylinder it is, but without that fault light I guess I am SOL on that idea. Do any of you have any suggestions?

By the way, I replaced the wires and plugs one at a time so I wouldn't mix any of them up.

Always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always use dielectric grease on the boots on both the plug and coil side.

If the light comes back on, get us the exact code, not what it means. The code will star with a P and then have 4 numbers. Telling us when the code says and what the actual code is, is two completely different things.

If it is one cylinder, I will say it is the plug.

I don't use Autolite in my cars. OE is Motorcraft.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
May have cracked the insulator on one of the plugs, that were hard to reach..That seems to be what has happened to some of the members here...

I am going to say cracked plug as well..

Todd Z

I know from past practice that on Dodge vechiles:( they only run right if you use oem parts cap,rotor,wires, plugs are okay if you chapion or something but you can't go wrong using OEM.

Latest posts