New round of cuts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Ford issued a press release stating they will announce a new round of employee cuts and plant closings. First of all, to all of our friends at Ford, I wish you the best.

Second, I find myself wondering if the Sport Trac can survive another round of cuts? Sure hope so.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make future cuts, there isn't a whole lot of unique parts on the ST, so it's easier to cut then a vehicle with alot of special tooling and parts. I don't want to see it go, I'd like to see where it can go, but the market is falling out industry-wide and Ford needs to streamline to get black again.

Here is one that mentions the Louisville plant..

To echo the words of Bill-E that's are floating around in my head, Caymen, was it really the new Sport Trac "design" that failed (or is failing), or maybe other (additional) failings, like Ford marketing, Ford service, Ford sales people?

TJR

The fate of the Sport Trac may be tied up with that of the Ranger. Right now the ST fills a hole in Ford's lineup - a compact pickup that can comfortably seat 4 or 5 people. I can see the Ranger and Sport Trac sharing a platform sometime in the future, that is if the Ranger ever gets a redesign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford actually already makes a 4 door Ranger.

[Broken External Image]:

Caymen, was it really the new Sport Trac "design" that failed (or is failing), or maybe other (additional) failings, like Ford marketing, Ford service, Ford sales people?

I say it was investing the money into the wrong vehicle. Why not have spent half the money spent on the Trac and merge the Ranger with the same chassis with the Trac. The Ranger could then have a V8 option putting it in the lead with power. Ford wins.

Invest that money you would have spent on the Rnger redesign and bring the Ka to the USA. The vehicle is there, the technology is there, the engine is there. I was in the Ford dealer today getting information about a Ford Escape. They had a Focus there for 22,600.00. Almost 23K for a Focus, are you freaking kidding me.

Ford needs to build a $10,000 cracker box. Make it look good mand make it well. They will sell themselves.

Until the Fusion came out, Ford did not offer any cars that appeal to the general public. Sure the Taurus was a nice vehicle, but people want a redesign sometimes.

Tom

I agree with Rich on both points, ecpecially the first point.

I agree with TJR about the marketing & service. If those 2 are covered then the sales part will take care of its self.

Fred, You are right about the duel cab Ranger, but it is not sold in the USA. And, the ST is a notch above that which is why we affectionately call it a S.L.U.T.

edit: I think that the Taraus has always been ugly, and the 4-door Ranger isn't ugly just blah.

Caymen, please don't take this the wrong way, but I agree that a reskinned, 4-door Ranger would be an appealing vehicle and mechanically and structurally a "dream truck" for someone like you. And, I recognize the value you would place on a such a vehicle.

But the reality is that's all "substance", and we live in a world in which "form", not substance is what sells. Much of the traffic and debate on this website is about form vs. substance and perception vs reality. Well, the reality in this world is that form and perception are EVERYTHING.

If consumer reports says that Toyota is higher quality than Ford, then THAT is the reality of it....evidence to the contrary is moot. If the marketplace says that the Ridgeline is a better vehicle than the ST due to sales and overall customer satisfaction, then again, that is the reality, individual points of comparison are again moot.

Whether or not the ST has a stiffer frame, or more horse power, or is more "truck like" than the Tacoma or the Ridgeline, is therefore moot when determing which vehicle is "better." Because, "better", ultimately has to mean "sells more".

People largely don't know what they want in a vehicle or for that matter even in a truck. This I firmly believe. A majority of the trucks and SUVs on the road aren't being put through the paces and for the purposes they were designed, yet they were SOLD to a marketplace that accepted them willingly and came to demand them.

People's needs and matching those needs to the substance of products stopped about 50 years ago in this country. Today, and for some time now, people are SOLD products, they don't BUY them.

And, once we ALL recognize this then we will start to realize that American companies need to learn how to SELL.

TJR

Ford's been running the company into the ground for years! Poor designs, poor customer service, poor after the sale service. Start cutting the marketing and design teams! Bring some of the international models to the US. How blind was Ford to see truck and SUV sales were going to plummet with the price of fuel? Think out-of the box for once! Ford will survive because of government help just like Chrylser in 70s.

I do feel bad for the laid off employees on the assembly lines. The mid management and above? You guys did yourselves in!

Rodger (& Georgia), You're right. I took the picture of that 4 door Ranger in Acapulco a couple years ago. And right again, the ST is a notch, or two ;), above.

all i have got to say is "Model-T"

Ford needs to get back to its roots

as was said earlier by Caymen

build something cheap, good MPG and reliable

in the $11K price range.

"if Ford builds it they will come"

Can Ford produce a car in the US, made in the US, and sell it in the US for a price of $11K...and make money?

I ask because I have heard quotes that say on-average, something like $2,500 of the cost of a domestic-made car goes to pay pensions and benefits of retired company employees.

Is that figure based in reality, or is that simply propoganda. And, if reality-based, then I ask again, how can an $11K car make any real profit for a company when over 1/4 of its cost goes towards a cost center that provides no value in its production?

This echos a similar conversation I had with a colleague over lunch about failing airlines and the cost of their pensions and benefits programs dragging them down. Sometimes I think that when times are good, companies expand and prosper and "do right" by their employees, but when times change and aren't as profitable, these same companies lack the ability to contract as needed because they have set up entitlement programs that are hard to do away with (not that that's necessarily bad).

TJR