New shocks install tips....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian K 2

Reaction score
Is it basically propping up the frame on jack stands.....letting the wheels, axles extend, drop unbolting the shock mounts and tapping out the bolt and reverse? I haven't even looked under my trac for more than 2 minutes since I got it 2 months ago. I am over the denial and agree this needs some stiffened suspension. How long to do the job? TIPS for smooth process? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to raise the vehicle to take off most shocks. Just hit the bolts/nuts with pb blaster or liquid wrench or similar a few days before you're going to do the project, to loosen them up. Then on the day of the project hopefully they'll loosen right up for you. The rears are easy from the standpoint of a bolt at either end, with a nut. Wear safety goggles, particles of various crud WILL waft down on you thoughout the project, especially if you wear contact lenses.

The front ones if they are anything like my ranger, can be more challenging for simple access reasons. I think the front on sp's are like the ranger, where they have a vertical threaded shaft that has a nut on the end. At least on Rangers, these are prone to twisting instead of allowing the nut to turn off it. This can be frustrating. As I said, don't know if they even have the same type shocks the rangers do.

--Bob

For the rears drop the spare to make room. The rear driver's side shock put me under some stress when I was installing new shocks. The top mount was hard to reach. I was able to remove it eventually without having to remove the breather box (?) as others recommended for easier access.

Oh yeah, before you start anything, do an inventory on your new shocks, making sure each one came with their bolts and bushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with FlipTrac_511, check your hardware with the new shocks before you start. I just installed a set of reflexs on my Trac last weekend and Monroe shorted me a bolt and nut on the front shocks. Went to the part store for a new bolt and reused one of the old nuts. I dropped the breather box and doing that made the rear easier than the front.

My Reflexes came up short on parts too Matt. Sup wit dat? Anyway, after an email Monroe sent me replacements.

People berated ProComp for missing hardware, and now hardly anyone here uses them. I wonder if the same will hold true for Monroe now?

Ditto on the tips. No need to jack up the truck. The left drivers side is the toughest one to replace, in my opinion. If you're not double-jointed, it could take an hour or more for just that one shock. I have never replaced shocks before and it took me 3-1/2 hours to complete the whole project.

I still swear by the ProComp shocks. I have 40K miles on ES3000s and they are still going strong.