New sport trac (atleast 2 me)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Schepper

Reaction score
Hey, I just got a 02 sport trac today Toreado red 4x4. First off have to say I love the truck, its way better then the 99 for f150 it replaced but i do have a few gripes...

1st- I bought it with brand new cooper tires which appear to be the stock size 255/7016. On the test drive i didnt get to crank the wheel but now that its home i cranked the wheel to park it and i can here the front tires rub. Is this something i should be concerned about or should i just let the tires wear down?

2nd- When i bought the truck i ran it through the 4wd i heard it engage in 4 high so i thought it was fine light lit up and everything was kosher... Now that i have it home when i flip 4 high it still lights up but when i switch 2 4low no light and no noise. Is there a quick fix for this (CPU flash maybe?)

Well happy to be a new owner pics will follow tomorrow.

Welcome and very nice looking ST. I have a silver frost 2002 4X4.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get into 4 low, you must have the tranny in neutral and your foot on the brake. Same thing going out of 4x4low. 4x4High, just flip the switch...

Your rubbing noise may be the steering stops. Very common issue with the Trac. On the spidle there is a ball that comes against a steering stop on the control. At full turns it rubs as the suspension moves up and down.

Grease the stop and the ball witha a heavy grease. The noise will be gone if that ws the issue..

Have an alignment shop adjust the torsion bars up a little bit, just an inch or so. I had the same problem on the Ranger I had before. The bars were set so low at the factory that the tires rubbed.

Yeah i got the 4x4 working now that i stop nuetral it and put it in. I will be doing some light off roading in this thing maybe a 3" lift front and back with some 33's to round it out. Im taking it into an alignment shop this afternoon to have them check the steering stops and torsion bars. All is well love the trac still. Pics of it in my library.

Fast Eddie is right. Those are not ST wheels, and maybe it's causing a problem. On the other hand, I have stock ST wheels and recently replaced the Goodyears with Bridgestone Duelers (stock size) and they rub a bit when I turn very tight. Only time it happens is moving slowly in a parking lot, so I'm not too worried about it.

Those are wheels from a regular explorer, which has different backspacing, your either going to have to buy some wheel spacers or different wheels.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with the truck..

Those rims are off a newer 4 door explorer, Not correct backspacing for the ST.

Don't waste your time or money with the shop, there is nothing they can do for you...

Todd Z