New to the ST world

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie frenzel

Reaction score
I just bought my ST 2 days ago. Is there anything I should know about them. Anything I should do to it, to make it more reliable? Anything that goes wrong with them? Any info would be great.

Hi Jamie and welcome to the site. Which generation did you purchase? The Sport Trac is a great vehicle and I think you will be very happy with them. There are a few problems with some ST's like the vacuum hose and paint peeling off the door handles. But they are simple fixes. If you take care of the ST, it will take care of you. I have 148,000 miles on my 2001 and she is still going strong. Good luck with it and you are gonna love this site. Many helpful and friendly people here.

Tommy

I bought a 2001 st 2wd. Its the tealish blue color, with 109k on it. I had already found out about the faulty hoses this morning. The paint on my handles are still in good shape. What ever clearcoat they used one my lund fiberglass tonneau is pealing. but other then that its great. The truck is smaller then I thought but I like it so far. I drove a 97 tahoe before this so I figure thats why it saams so small.

Any chance you got maintenance records with the vehicle? If so, give 'em a check and compare it to a typical 100K, 75K, and 50K maintenance schedule to see if anything was missed. You can find a schedule in with the owners manual in a separate booklet; online at auto sites tend to be a little more involved.

The transmissions tend to be a weak point, so get the fluid changed if it's still original. Srock shocks aren't the best, either.

jamie, Welcome! You have A Gen 1 ST (that's what we call them here 01-05) Ford color Island Blue, Nice nice nice color, and not alot of them around and alot of folks around here like it much! Cover can be repainted just shop around shouldn't cost too much to repaint that.

Was the person you bought it from,, a member here?

You might want to ask Dealership Service Manager if he or she an run your VIN to see what work had been done on it-- if any had been done to that Trac. I"m sure something is in there from the original owners etc. That should not cost anything. And if they want to charge you, take it to another Dealership, because I know of many that do not charge for that. Don't let them talk you into a tranny flush or anything like that just yet. Research first. Tell them you are just getting your history of this vehicle and will decide what you want to get done first after seeing the history of maitenance on it (thru what he or she can dig up) It's a start by doing that.

If you check in the FAQ and Project (especially Projects..there is soo much info and great ideas there.) You will find alot of helpful info regarding Your ST and how to tell if it is a Job 1 or 2 (because that matters when it comes to certain parts or repairs or certain mods.)

The first thing you should look for is to see if your Trac Year was part of the cruise control switch recall. (I believe it was) If it is red, you need to replace that right away. It is a faulty switch, and a fire hazzard.

If you take it to a dealership and they try to charge you, tell them "I just bought the sport trac found out this switch is faulty PER FORD MOTOR COMPANY and they need to address your concern" and I mean tell them that exacly. Ford does not charge for this fix.

You can buy the part yourself and fix it yourself, it is not that expensive. But I would check with the dealerships first and push to get the fix because they will document that the fix was done on your VIN/ Trac. If you have more than one Ford dealership in your area, one turns you down go over to the other one and explain it again. Remember the words use those exact words.

Good luck and Happy Safe Trac'n!

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the site and goodluck with your new ST!

I got mine a bit more than a year ago now and I've never looked back. I bought it with 116,000 kms on it so since I've had it, I had to replace the bearings, next will be ball joints (I hear those are quite a common problem) and Tie Rods.

If you want better and more responsive handling, a lot of people will tell you to upgrade your shocks and sway bar.

Dont forget to check out the "projects" section along the left hand menu there.. Lots of great tips there.. some cheap and easy-to-do mods too :D

Enjoy!

Welcome to the Sport Trac and to MYST.com!

I love the STs I've had and I talk to mine. It understands me. We are friends!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to a great site and a wealth of info...:D

If ever have a problem or check engine light. Post the codes here first. You will most likley get the right info for repair.

Welcome jamie! I've had my '02 4wd for 4 years now. It's been very dependable. I hope you enjoy yours and this site as much as I have. :cool:

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. I bought the truck from a guy near avon/cleavland ohio. I am not sure if he is a member or not. I will have to see if I can get history on it. I had a buddy of mine pick the truck up in Ohio and bring it to me in Wisconsin. It worked out good my guy goes to school there and I found the st there for the right price. In the pictures the st looked like a dark blue and when I got it I was like wtf, but in the last 2 days of driving it the color is growing on me. I like how it changes color. Its allmost like one of those chameleon paint jobs. In the sun its blue, in the shade its tealish, in the rain its green, and at night it looks black. I love it.

Latest posts