New Trac question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Perkins

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a trac... I had an 04 and sold it to build a new house (needed a full size truck)...

I now am ready to get a new trac. QUESTION is... for people who had owned both, should I look for a 05 or get an 07? :blink:

I know I am going to get the v6 and 4x4..

Thanks in advance.

Didn't own a prior Trac but purchased an '07. Watched them since they first came on market.

Biggest feature I wanted was the improved handling with the rear independant suspension and the wider track. That determined for me whether it was a used '05 or a new '07.

Depends what you want to do with it.

Off Road, Suspension Mods? Get the '05.

Decent Daily Driver? Get the '07.

Not much advantage to getting the V-6. Go for it and get a V-8!

The 07 is pretty much a car now. If you want a truck, go 05.

Have you actually driven an 07? :rolleyes:

New Trac?, it depends what you need a vehicle like this for. I had a Ranger FX4 prior to the 07 Sport Trac. I will probably get flamed for this but the 05 and earlier ST's were basically a Ranger Supercab with a different body and interior. As far as ride and handling are concerned there is a night and day difference. About the only concern I have with the 07's off-road capabilities is the lack of ground clearance. The biggest thing I wanted in the 07 that the Ranger couldn't do was the ability to tow decent weights. If you go with the 07 V-8 the tow ratings are 6800 lbs for the 2-wheel drive and 6640 lbs for the 4x4. There is not a significant difference in fuel mileage between the V-6 and V-8.