New Transmission Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Yesterday I took my 08 STA out for the first drive in weeks. It's fresh off a visit to the dealership to have the computer wiped. It has 56 miles on it since the last fix. We ran around town doing a little of this and that.

On our way home the truck started shifting like it did before but this time it held out of gear for almost one minute until it settled into second gear. It wouldn't downshift or up shift from second.

After about 6 seconds of this the red wrench came on. I believe this means drivetrain malfunction.

I nursed it home to my dealership. I restarted it. No indication of a malfunction was present. I drove fine but I left it at the dealership overnight so they could take a look at it today. Have yet to do so.

Question, I know the 5 and 6 speed automatics are available. Does anyone know what model/option codes get the 5 speed Auto and which get the newer 6 speed? Does the V6 get the 5 and the V8 get the 6 or....?

I know my STA has the 6 Speed auto (with no issues by the way), the 4.6L, and the AWD system as thats the only way it is sold in Canada, but I was wondering if both 5 and 6 speeds have equal complaints or if one is more prone to issues than the other?

Cheers;

Eric

I had problems with mine over a year ago (May or June '07), and not only did the dealer (with Ford's approval) reflash the computer, but also changed the mechatronic assembly (valve body) on the tranny. Ever since, I've had no problems.

I've also noticed on some subsequent TSB's, was written DO NOT REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC. I basically don't know SQUAT about the tranny, but for those how've had the reflash, did the dealer replace the mechatronic assembly? Could this be the "kicker" (pun sort-of intended) that would finally fix this problem we all are having?

Is there anything this group can do as a whole to kick Ford in the a$$ and get this resolved? Even though as of today I've had no problems, I'm afraid that these problems may still come back in the future.

Not my intention to hijack the thread (sorry psycareyo), but I feel we are ALL in the same boat here . . .

I have an 07 V6 5 speed, same as the generation one ST but not sure. I have a hard shift every once in a while, usually when going from drive to R with NO rolling etc., a complete stop, no banging or noise, just a hard/sudden shift, like it hangs up or thinks about it before shifting gears. don't mean to hi jack this 6 speed thread either

jimp, the issue we are all talking about is for the 07/08 V8 ST with the 6 speed auto. These issues are not present on the V6 models.

This almost has to be a computer related problem. The fact that the computer has to "learn" your driving habits could also play a part. I only noticed the "bump" on my 07 maybe a dozen times until somewhere around 20,000 miles and now it does it at least 50% of the time when I come to a complete stop. For a while it would not do it as long as I hit the "OD OFF" button on the shifter before coming to a stop. After disconnecting the battery overnight it now does it regardless of whether I hit the button or not. So much for that helpful little tip. The other thing I have noticed is that if it doesn't "bump" as it comes to a stop, as soon as I try to accelerate away from a complete stop it will downshift and jolt the truck anyway. What that has to indicate is that it is not shifting into 1st gear until I try to move away from a complete stop. The computer can't seem to decide if it should be in 1st or 2nd gear. I suspect the throttle by wire and the delay inherit in that design is contributing to this mess as well. It's disgusting to think that Ford can offer a system as intuitive as Sync and yet they cannot fix our transmissions. Maybe they should hire Microsoft to figure it out. :angry:

Latest posts