New York city

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hartley

Reaction score
I am taking my ten year old daughter to NY as a reward for getting straight A's in school this year. That's what she said she wanted as a reward. We have never been there. We are doing the double decker bus tour, and will be checking out Central Park. Trying to decide between seeing the Top of The Rock or the Empiere State Building. Any thoughts on must see or eat (casule). I am taking the train and leaveing the Trac at home. We are staying at the Crowne plazza on Times Square. Thanks ahead of time, I'm sure I'll get some good comments.

Sorry, I even READ it several times...eyes can play tricks on you. Each time I read it I saw "my daughter", not "my ten year old daughter." Thanks guys.

Now, to answer the question:

Serendipities for "Frozen Hot Chocolate", and Toys R Us or FAO Schwartz (assuming that is still open) are all great stops for a kid that age.

A "Jackson Hole" burger for Dad is a good thing, too.

Don't forget the M&M Store!!

If Shrek the Musical is still playing - that's GREAT FAMILY FUN!!!!. Been there, very casual dress so don't worry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't say when you're going, I'm assuming it's sometime during the summer break. If that's the case--nothing beats a father/child day at a baseball game, in any city. And if you're staying in Times Square, going to the game (at either stadium) will provide an opportunity to experience the NYC subway system, which kids who haven't experienced it tend to enjoy.

Let HER pick a Broadway (or off-Broadway) show, and go see it with her, whatever it is. If it's a Disney-based show, fine. If it's Blue Man Group, great. If it's something you think you'll hate, do it anyway--you'll find whatever she picks to be far more tolerable than she would find whatever you would pick. Work on getting your tickets well in advance.

Pick a museum to visit (or rather, once again, let HER pick one)--Again, there are many options to choose from, and you generally can't go wrong.

Almost forgot--Coney Island.

And, if any of these are your thing, and if you're there on the right day(s), get tickets to see a taping of Letterman or SNL (not sure if either of those have age limits for audience members), or get up early and try to get on the Today show...

Take her to "The Lion King" on Broadway. I saw it in Vegas, and it's phenomenal! My nine-year old son loved it. :banana::supercool:

The web site dos not do the place justice, but this place is great...

The waiters and waitresses are "upcoming stars" and they all sing both solos and duo's and what not while they work.

Really a good time. Four of us went there, ordered full meals and it was 70 bucks.

Really neat place, 50's 60's era type atmosphere, two floors..

We also did the Top of the Rock and the NBC tour and they were both enjoyable.

Also, get a two day pass for the double decker bus you want to to. The first day kind of ride around and look at things from the bus and listen to what they have to say. The second day or later in the first day use the bus as your transportation and get on and off whenever and wherever you want for not additional charge.

Usually, after our annual trip to see the Radio City Christmas Show (Unfortunately wrong time of year for you), We will visit FAO Schwartz and have dinner at the Stardust Diner (Singing Wait Staff).

Other choices could be:

The Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium

American Girl Place

Mars 2112 (another themed place to eat)

The Central Park Zoo

NY Public Library

Disney Store

Thanks for all the great ideas, I'm going to go over this list with her and will pick some out.

To Bill V. She is just a great kid that has gotten staight A's and perfect attendance, in Gifted and Talented classes and I like to show her being good gets its rewards.

Bob, to be clear--I wasn't intending to criticize, I more was just commenting about how "times they are a-changin'." Back when I was in school, such things were unheard of--We would be lucky if we even got a "good job" comment from our parents for such a thing. Now trips, cars, or other lavish (by comparison) rewards for kids for grades or other similar achievements are almost commonplace.

little italy, great italian restraunt.

our fav: puglia's on hester st.

empire state bldg is very good.

be very aware of your surroundings and don't fall for the scam artists.

have fun