Newbie wants to buy, but has questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Upfold

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'am in the market for a new ride by years end. I was 99% sure fo buying a Ford Explorer SUV.

I currently own an 01 Ford Escape. I need something that will tow a 12' uhaul trailer for Tucson, AZ. back to VA. I have stuff in Tucson that I would to bring back. Yesterday I when to a dealership in Bedford, VA. and decided to check out an F-150. The F-150 was ok but I still have eyes on the Explorer. On the way out of the door I stopped just to look at the Sport Trac. Now the Explorer has some competition. I was impressed with the Sport Trac. I when home and did some research on the net and found that some people were having problems with their ST, so now I have some concerns.

1. Thumping or clicking sounds coming from the engine (not to noticable inside, but rather loud outside with the hood opened). Has anyone else experienced this?

2. A whisling sound going don the highway.

3. moonroof leaks.

4. takeoff from dead stop shifting not smooth (transmission).

5. takes longer to start ( hold key in start position).

One person had to have his engine replaced after 5000 mi. Are these just flutes or a larger problem. These all happened on 2007 ST model. I would think the bugs would have been worked out on the ST by now.

I really like the Sport Trac and would give it the primary choice if not for these problems (I still have to take it for a test drive). Any help or experience would greatly be appreciated in helping me decide. Thank you.

I need something that will tow a 12' uhaul trailer for Tucson, AZ. back to VA.

That may be your biggest problem unless Uhaul's rules have changed regarding Explorers.

JU: go to the U-Haul site and try renting a trailer. I think they still post a screen saying that you cannot rent if you have an Explorer, but you have to go through a few screens to get there.

Many here have towed a number of things with their ST's, not all of them are like the one(s) you saw. There are probably 300,000 ST's on the road and I doubt if all of them are like that.

just tried to rent from uhaul and they wouldn't let any explorer model vehicles (sport tracs)

tow b/c of a 25 million dollar lawsuit for an explorer flipping. This was last week and i doubt they've changed it by now or ever!