No Audio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith S

Reaction score
There is power going to the radio, the display works along with all of the buttons. However there is no music being played through the speakers. Have any of y'all experienced something like this? What would be the best way to trouble shoot this to help narrow down the problem(s)?

Go into the settings and see if any thing was turned down, or setting changed...

Check fuses and try the old college light punch to the radio..... :)

Maybe the plug in the back fell out.

Todd Z

All modes no output? AM, FM, CD, Sirius? I'd check Owner's Manual fuse chart to see if there's one related to speakers. You also might get some troubleshooting help from Crutchfield tech support. It could be something blown in the output section of your radio. Let us know what you find.

Correct, there is no sound from AM/FM, CD/MP3, or Sirius (still have power to unit and can select each). I have asked a few of my friends, one of which works at a Ford dealership, and have come up with two reoccurring answers; the radio is bad or the amp has failed. I will let you know what the problem was once I get it fixed.

Not a fuse problem with the radio or it wouldn't work period. There are no settings in the ford base stereo that would mute the radio. Speakers aren't powered so no fuse there. The plug for the speakers is the same plug as the power wires... I think... pretty sure. So rule that out. Assuming you have a factory stereo there are only a couple of things left. Base stereo doesn't have an amp other than the internal amp on the stereo. So if it is a base stereo it's probably bad. Surprising though. They usually don't just quit. On side usually goes first then the other. If you have premium sound there may be an amp and a fuse for it. That would explain a sudden mute. If not that then bad stereo. Is the phone mute button stuck in?

Also have another question, how can you differentiate between the base stereo and the premium? I do not know which I have and am wondering what key features would be able to tell me. Thank you.

When replacing my shifter knob, I had to remove the entire center console. I found out real quickly that without the center console, the radio lit up like normal, but I had no audio...

Once I reconnected the wiring harnesses, the audio returned. I do have sync, and the usb and aux ports are inside the console.

It might be worth a shot to check and ensure that the connections are still intact....

Good luck

Update: Took into a dealership to get repaired under warranty. Internally the output on the radio unit had blown due to a short circuit; explains why it was powered but produced no audio. Cost without warranty including labor and sales tax would have been $451.21

When replacing my shifter knob, I had to remove the entire center console. I found out real quickly that without the center console, the radio lit up like normal, but I had no audio...

Once I reconnected the wiring harnesses, the audio returned. I do have sync, and the usb and aux ports are inside the console.

It might be worth a shot to check and ensure that the connections are still intact....

Good luck
Replying to an old old thread but I don't have premium audio (all stock) and I don't have any sound coming out of my speakers, even with a new head unit so this intrigues me. what wiring harness are you referring to? got pictures? thank you.

you can get some nice after market decks to replace around same cost, nice looking trac, you should do the new registry with some pics and mods list.. good luck

Sounds like you got a new deck, aftermarket, replaced it yourself, and still nothing? I've got nothing. I'll pay the audio people to put it in, so that any problems are on them, lol! I'll be doing a 500-ish deck, but that's relatively high-end (I know it goes higher, but pretty high-end for a non-adiophile). If you did anything around that price (300+), please make the people you bout it from install it. It's worth the $100 to make them make sure everything works!!!

Sounds like you got a new deck, aftermarket, replaced it yourself, and still nothing? I've got nothing. I'll pay the audio people to put it in, so that any problems are on them, lol! I'll be doing a 500-ish deck, but that's relatively high-end (I know it goes higher, but pretty high-end for a non-adiophile). If you did anything around that price (300+), please make the people you bout it from install it. It's worth the $100 to make them make sure everything works!!!
I did thinking it was the radio that has gone bad but it is still the same. On the plus, I have reverse camera on a screen now so there's that.... Still no audio and relying on the JBL Charge 3 as my audio setup. 😂

Latest posts