NOBODY will help me ?!?!?!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHarvey

2005 XLT Adrenaline
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey đź‘‹

I’m trying to get my computer flashed to enable “neutral tow” on my 05 Adrenaline so I can tow it 4 wheels down behind my RV. There is a ton of info out there on how to do it and I even printed the instructions, but no dealership in the Sacramento area seems to want to take my money. I’m getting “you can’t tow that rig 4 wheels down” (they’re wrong), “it’s a liability”, “we don’t have that software” and other lame excuses. I know it can be done. My owners manual has a “recreational tow” section discussing the process of putting the transfer case into neutral tow. Ford made a “neutral tow kit” at one time which is basically just a dash-mounted LED light that plugs into a pre-existing plug in the wiring harness under the steering column.

Anyway I’m obviously getting a bit frustrated.

Does anyone have any advice?
Can I do this computer flash by myself with an ELM 327 Interface or another affordable plug in diagnostic tool?
Can I remove my computer and send it away to someone to get flashed? Does anyone know a dealership or mechanic in Northern California that can help?

Thanks

i am very interested in your progress, i want to tow my trac and was going to do tow dolly, as far as computer flashing if i was going that route i would get another module at a wrecking yard or private party, ya need the key for pats, it is so easy to switch out and the key ignition. i got one for 60 bucks years ago,, then i would get it flashed, if ya can find someone, that way ya have no worries if it gets f-upped and your truck is not down during process, i went with a programmer so i did not use it, but company was 2 weeks out and shipping etc or if got lost shipping, let me know if ya can not find one and i will look for my extra one. it was out of a 05 but it worked in my 04.

Thanks curtis james. That’s a good idea. Someone also recommended trying a Speed Shop or Tuning Shop as they specialize in going deep into computers to unlock extra horsepower. Still waiting to hear from one old-school mechanic at Future Ford here in Sacramento who, according to the service advisor, owns an 08 Explorer and is “looking into” what I want done. Im determined!!

Surely you can find the flash process online? Forscan is free and the connector isn’t expensive. You can save the prior program and revert back if necessary. I’m not well versed with the 05 models but I’ve used Forscan to reprogram parts of my 2010.

Surely you can find the flash process online? Forscan is free and the connector isn’t expensive. You can save the prior program and revert back if necessary. I’m not well versed with the 05 models but I’ve used Forscan to reprogram parts of my 2010.
Thanks Brad B. I do have Forscan but have only done some basic code reading on my E450 RV.
I have just the basic, free Forscan download. Do I need to subscribe for more advanced capabilities?
I did plug it into my SC and played around with it but couldn’t figure anything out as far as re-setting any systems. There are a ton of YouTube videos I need to check out. If I could flash my own computer in my driveway that would be ideal!

Glimmer of hope…My Brother is a Diesel Tech for a Mitsubishi dealer in the Bay Area and is pals with an old school Ford Tech who is some sort of guru. I’ve emailed him and am waiting to hear back.

@GHarvey
Consider removing the 3 Position 4x4ShiftMotor = 2WHi~4WHi~4WLo,
then install a 4 position 4x4ManualShift kit = 2WHi~4WHi~Neut~4WLo.
Unsure of current availability & price. Click for YouTube vids on this subject.
Thanks DILLARD000. So basically I could swap out the stock transfer case for one with “neutral tow” already there? I’ll definitely look into that.

Dont need a new transfer case, the 1354 you have has a Neutral position. Its just not used by the stock 4x4ShiftMotor and controls.

So I activated my FORScan 1 year license tonight. 12 bucks ! No brainer. I joined their forum as well and posted what I’m trying to do in hopes that someone can give me turn key instructions. If not I’ll plug in my scanner tomorrow and try to figure it out. I also searched the forum for existing posts on flashing the computer but didn’t find too much.

Google.... People made their own switches to do this....

Latest posts