Noise after camber kit installation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Last month I had camber kits installed for allignment and immediately I noticed squeeking. I sprayed WD40 around the bushings and the camber kits themselves. The squeeking disappeared but now there is a metallic "chatter" or "tapping" when I go over small bumps at speed. The noise is most obvious and consistent when going up driveways. When I took my Trac into the dealership for my tranny service, I had them check out this noise and they pinpointed the kit and my shocks. I really doubt it's my Monroe shocks because the noise occured only after the kit was installed. First thing in the morning I am returning to the shop (again) where I got the allignment from and see what they have to say or do. Just in case this is not resolved, what should I start to look for so that I may do work myself. I also read that using WD40 on the control arm bushings was a no-no as it "turns them into mush".

Yep...If the bushings are rubber, they will turn to mush...I learned the hard way on a car, years ago....;)

How long do I have Fast Eddie? Outside of replacement, is there anything I can do to correct my error?

Last edited by a moderator:
Flip... if you have only wd 40 once or twice, they will probably survive. I was doing it on a weekly basis. They lasted about 2 months. Try using silcone or a lube that has no petro or distillate product. Should be safe with that...

Hi LY!

Fast Eddie, I only used it once. I wanted to use grease at first, but I figured the WD40 spray would reach those hard to reach areas much better.

Just got back from the Goodyear shop. The tech didn't find the kits to be causing any problems. He said he installed them tight enough too, otherwise my alignment would go off again.

Did they find the noise???... Could it be a control arm bolt?,, How about a loose shock mounting bolt???

Todd Z

The tech wasn't eager to diagnose anything outside of his alignment job and all he did was readjust the alignment once more since I mentioned it was still pulling to the right. Surprisingly, the noise is gone. I was usually able to duplicate it going up my driveway, but it no longer does it. Maybe the tech tightened the kits up or something. Who knows? One of these days I will crawl under my Trac to make sure everything is in good order (such as making sure bolts are torqued to spec).

Latest posts