noise from tires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Stiteler

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
A few weeks ago I suddenly got a sound from the front end that sounded like I had installed snow tires. I am told it is probably the one or both of the front wheel bearings. 2003 XLT 4x4 limited slip 50,000 miles. Any idea what this should cost me? To Ford, or mechanic?

If you still have the factory GY RTS tires. That is your problem. They are cupping on the inside tread blocks.

Even with perfect alighnment they will do it. Trashy tires they are. Also if you are using the factory shocks. They also contribute to the problem. The factory shocks are too soft for the weight of the trac.

as my son's OEM Goodyears got more & more miles on them, the louder the noise got

I replace the originals a couple of years ago. Have Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds installed now. After noise started, had tires rotated and alignment completed. No real change to noise. Had it looked at, quick look, by mecanic and he said sounded like bearings but couldn't determine which at that time.

Looking for info on what I can expect it to cost to replace one or both sides, and which would be recommended, taking it to Ford, or to an independent mecanic.

Most likely it is one or both wheel bearings but tires can get noisier as they wear down too.

Jack the front tires off the ground one at a time, grab it, and try to wiggle it. If you get a wiggle then it's a wheel bearing.

Latest posts